- Professor, Department Chair, Department of Occupational Therapy
- Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- Professor (Secondary Appointment), School of Nursing
- Graduate Faculty, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- PhD, Educational Psychology (Life-Span Human Development), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,IL,1975
- MA, Occupational Therapy, University of Southern California, 1968
- BS, Biology, Canisius College, Buffalo, NY, 1966
- Functional assessment
- Relationship between pathology, impairment, and disability (activity limitations and participation restrictions)in adults and older adults
- Enabling dementia care
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Mallinson, T., Fischer, H., Rogers, J.C., Ehrlich-Jones, L., & Chang, R. (2009). Human occupational for public health promotion: New directions for occupational therapy practice with persons with arthritis. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 63, 220-226.
- Shih, M.M., Rogers, J.C., Skidmore, E.R., Irrgang, J., & Holm, M.B. (2009). Measuring stroke survivors' functional status independence: Five perspectives. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 63,600-608. (PMID: 19785259)
- Baker, N.A., Rogers, J.C., Rubinstein, E.N., & Allaire, S.H. (2009). Wasko MC: Problems experienced by people with arthritis when using a computer. Arthritis Care & Research, 61, 614-622. (PMID:19405002).
- Baker, N.A., Gustafson, N.P., & Rogers, J.C. (2010). The association between rheumatoid arthritis related structural changes in hands and computer keyboard operation. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation, 20, 59-68. (Electronic Version: DOI 10.1007/s10926-009-9216-x). (PMID: 19898778).
- Baker, N.A., & Rogers, J.C. (2010). Association between computer use speed and age, impairments in function, and touch typing training in people with RA. Arthritis Care & Research, 62, 242-250.
- Rogers, J.C., Holm, M.B., Raina, K.D., Dew, M.A., Shih, M.M., Begley, A., Houck, P.R., Mazumdar, S., & Reynolds III, C.F. (2010). Disability in late-life major depression: Patterns of self-reported task abilities, task habits, and observed task performance. Psychiatry Research, 178, 475-479.
- Al-Sayegh, N.A., George, S.E., Boninger, M.L., Rogers, J.C., Whitney, S.L., & Delitto, A. (2010). Spinal mobilization of postpartum low back and pelvic girdle pain: An evidence-based clinical rule for predicting responders and nonresponders. PM&R, 2, 995-1005.
- Goins, R.T., Spencer, S.M., Goli, S., & Rogers, J.C. (2010) Assistive technology use among older American Indians in a southeastern tribe: The Native Elder Care Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58, 2185-2190. (DOI 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2010.03140.x).
- Reynolds, C.F. III, Butters, M.A., Lopez, O., Pollock, G.P., Dew, M.A., Mulsant, B., Lenze, E., Holm, M.B., Rogers, J.C., Mazumdar, S., Houck, P.R., Begley, A., Anderson, S., Karp, J.F., Miller, M.D., Whyte, E.M., Stack, J., Gildengers, A., Szanto, K., Bensasi, S., Kaufer, D.I., & DeKosky, S.T. (2011). Maintenance treatment of depression in old age: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation of the efficacy and safety of Donepezil combined with antidepressant pharmacotherapy. Archives of General Psychiatry, 68, 51-61.
- Goins, R.T., Pignataro, R., Dong, L., & Rogers, J.C. (2011). : Handgrip strength among older American Indians: The Native Elder Care Study. Age and Ageing, 40 (4), 523-527. (DOI: 10.1093/ageing/afr041
- Toto, P. E., Raina, K. D., Holm, M. B., Schlenk, E. A., Rogers, J. C. & Rubenstine, E. A. (in press). Outcomes of a Multi-Component Physical Activity Program for Sedentary, Community-Dwelling, Older Adults. Journal of Aging & Physical Activity.
- Rogers, J.C., & Holm, M.B. (2008). Role Change Assessment: An Interview Tool for Older Adults. In B. Hemphill-Pearson (Ed.), Assessments in Occupational Therapy Mental Health (2nd ed. pp. 49-57). Thorofare, NJ: SLACK.
- Holm, M.B., & Rogers, J.C. (2008). The Performance Assessment of Self-Care Skills (PASS). In B. Hemphill-Pearson (Ed.), Assessments in Occupational Therapy Mental Health (2nd ed. pp. 101-110). Thorofare, NJ: SLACK.
- Rogers, J.C., & Holm, M.B. (2009). The occupational therapy process. In E. B. Crepeau, E. S. Cohn, & B. A. B. Schell (Eds.) Willard and Spackman's Occupational Therapy (11th ed., pp. 478-513), Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Courses Recently Taught
- OT 2116 Integrative Capstone Seminar
- HRS 2501 Functional Assessment
- HRS 2502 Human Performance Analysis
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Occupational Therapy, State University of New York at Buffalo, and Supervisor of Occupational Therapy, Edward J. Memorial Hospital Buffalo, NY, 1969–72
- Assistant Professor of Occupational Therapy, and Director of Graduate Studies, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 1974–77
- Assistant Professor of Occupational Therapy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 1978–81
- Associate Professor of Occupational Therapy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 1981–84
- Associate Professor of Occupational Therapy, and Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic, Pittsburgh, PA, 1984–86
- Professor and Chair (1998) of Occupational Therapy, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA. 1986–present
- Professor of Nursing, School of Nursing, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1997–present
- Professor of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA, 1998–present
- Faculty, McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 2001–present
- Faculty, Health Policy Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 2011–present
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, American Occupational Therapy Association
- Eleanor Clarke Slagle Lectureship, highest academic award of the American Occupational Therapy Association
- Third Brookdale Visiting Scholar, Brookdale Institute on Aging and Human Development, Columbia University, 1983
- Charter Member, Academy of Research, American Occupational Therapy Foundation
- Woman’s Visiting Scholar, Queens University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- Summer Distinguished Lecturer-in-Residence, Texas Woman’s University
- Award of Merit, highest award of the American Occupational Therapy Association
- Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
- Association of Rheumatology Health Professionals Distinguished Scholar Award
- Presidents' Award, Joint Award of the American Occupational Therapy Association and American Occupational Therapy Foundation for longstanding contributions to practice and research
External Service and Assignments
- Section Editor, Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2006–present
- Member, Board of Directors, American Occupational Therapy Association, 2005–08
- Advisory Council of the Allegheny County Department of Human Services, Area Agency on Aging, 2010–2013