- Postdoctoral Fellowship Rehabilitation Research, University of Pittsburgh, 1990
- PhD, Higher Education, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1980
- MA, Counseling, Pacific Lutheran University, 1977
- BS, Occupational Therapy, University of Minnesota, 1968
- Functional outcomes of medical, psychiatric and rehabilitation interventions
- Evidence-based practice
Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
- Rogers, J.C., Holm, M.B., Raina, K.D., Dew, M.A., Shih, M.M., Begley, A., Houck, P.R., Mazumdar, S., & Reynolds III, C.F. (2010). Disability in late-life major depression: Patterns of self-reported task abilities, task habits, and observed task performance. Psychiatry Research, 178, 475-479.
- Schein, R., Schmeler, M., Holm, M. B., Saptano, A., & Brienza, D., (2010). Telerehabilitation Wheeled Mobility and Seating Assessments Compared with In Person. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 91, 874-878.
- Skidmore, E.R, Whyte, E.M., Becker, J.T., Holm, M.B., Butters, M.A., Dew, M.A., Lenze, E.J. (2010). Cognitive and affective predictors of rehabilitation participation after stroke. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 91, 203-207. (PMCID: PMC2824912)
- Hamed, R., & Holm, M. B. (2011). Psychometric properties of the Arab Heritage Activity Card Sort. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 34, 291-306.
- Hamed, R., AlHeresh, R., Abu Dahab, S., Collins, B., Fryer, J., & Holm, M.B. (2011). The development of the Arab Heritage Activity Card Sort (A-ACS. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 34, 299-306.
- Becker, L. B., Aufderheide, T. P., Geocadin, R. G., Callaway, C. W., Lazar, R., Donnino, M. W., Nadkarni, V. M., Abella, B. S., Adrie, C., Berg, R. A., Merchant, R. M., O'Connor, R. E., Meltzer, D. O., Holm, M. B., Longstreth, W. T., & Halperin, H. R. (2011). Primary outcomes for resuscitation science studies. Circulation, 124, 2158-2177.
- Rittenberger, J. C., Tisherman, S. Holm, M. B., Guyette, F. X., & Callaway, C. W. (2011). An early, novel illness severity score to predict outcome after cardiac arrest resuscitation. Resuscitation, 82, 1399-1404.
- Rittenberger, J. C., Raina, K., Holm, M. B., Kim, Y. J., & Callaway, C. W. (2011). Association between Cerebral Performance Category, Modified Rankin Scale, and discharge disposition after cardiac arrest. Resuscitation, 82, 1036-1040.
- Reynolds, C.F. III, Butters, M.A., Lopez, O., Pollock, G.P., Dew, M.A., Mulsant, B. Lenze, E., Holm, M.B., Rogers, J.C., Mazumdar, S., Houck, P.R., Begley, A. Anderson, S., Karp, J.F., Miller, M.D. Whyte, E.M., Stack, J., Gildengers, A., Szanto, K., Bensasi, S., Kaufer, D.I., & DeKosky, S.T. (2011). Maintenance treatment of depression in old age: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation of the efficacy and safety of Donepezil combined with antidepressant pharmacotherapy. Archives of General Psychiatry, 68, 51-60.
- Skidmore, E. R., Holm, M. B., Whyte, E. M., Dew, M. A., Dawson, D., & Becker, J. T. (2011). The feasibility of meta- cognitive strategy training in acute inpatient stroke rehabilitation: case report. Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, 21, 208-223.
- Schein, R., Schmeler, M., Holm, M. B., Saptano, A., & Brienza, D. (2011). Telerehabilitation assessment using the Functioning Everyday with a Wheelchair-Capacity. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 48(2),
- Brienza, D., Kelsey, S., Karg, P., Allegretti, A., Olson, M., Schmeler, M., Zanca, J., Geyer, M.J., Kusturiss, M., & Holm, M. (2010). A randomized clinical trial on preventing pressure ulcers with wheelchair seat cushions. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 58, 2308-2315.
- Hamed, R., Abu Tariah, H., Jarrar, M., & Holm, M.B. (2012). Development of the Arabic Version of the Performance Assessment of Self-Care Skills. Jordan Medical Journal.46, 221-228.
- Gildengers, A. G., Butters, M. A., Chisholm, D., Anderson, S.J., Begley, A., Holm, M., Rogers, J..C., Reynolds, C. F. III, Mulsant, B.H: (2012). Cognition in older adults with bipolar versus major depressive disorder. Bipolar Disorders, 14, 198-205.
- Toto, P.E., Raina, K. D., Holm, M. B., Schlenk, E. A., Rubinstein, E. N., Rogers, J. C. (2012) Outcomes of a multicomponent physical activity program for sedentary, community-dwelling older adults. Journal of Aging & Physical Activity. 20:363-78.
- Kumar, A., Schmeler, M. R., Karmarkar, A. M., Collins, D. M., Cooper, R., Cooper, R. A., Shin, H., & Holm, M.B. (2012). Test-retest reliability of the functional mobility assessment (FMA): A pilot study. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, Early online 1-7.
- Abu Dahab, S., Skidmore, E. R., Holm, M. B., Rogers, J. C., & Minshew, N.J. (2012). Motor and tactile-perceptual skill differences between individuals with high-functioning autism and typically developing individuals ages 5-21. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, DOI 10.1007/s10803-011-1439-y
- Hamed, R., Abu Tariah, H., Malkawi, S., & Holm, M. B. (2012). The Arabic version of the Mayo-Portland Adaptability Inventory 4: A validation study. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 35:243-247.
- Hawamdeh, Z. M., Alshraideh, M. A., Al-Ajlouni, J. M., Salah, I. K., Holm, M. B., & Otom, A. H. (2012). Development of a decision support system to predict physicians’ rehabilitation protocols for patients with knee osteoarthritis. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 35:214-219.
- Skidmore, E. R., Becker, J. T., Whyte, E. M., Huber, L. M., Waterstram, L. F., Ward, A. A., Grattan, E. S., Holm, M. B. (2012). Cognitive impairments and depressive symptoms did not impede upper extremity recovery in a clinical repetitive task practice program after stroke. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation,91:327-36.
- Toto, P. E., Raina, K. D., Holm, M. B., Schlenk, E. A., Rogers, J. C. (2013). Best practice physical activity programs for older adults and ADL/IADL performance. Topics in Geriatric Rehabilitation, 29(1), 67-76.
- AlHeresh, R., Bryant, W., & Holm, M.B. (in press). Community based rehabilitation in Jordan: Challenges to achieving occupational justice, Disability & Rehabilitation.
- Gildengers, A. B., Chisholm, D., Butters, M. A., Anderson, S. J., Begley, A., Holm, M., Rogers, J. C., Reynolds, C. F., III, & Mulsant, B. H. (in press). Two year course of cognitive and IADL function in older adults with bipolar disorder: Evidence for neuroprogression? Psychological Medicine.
- Holm, M. B.,Rogers, J. C., & James, A. B. (2003). Interventions for activities of daily living. In E. B. Crepeau, E. S. Cohn & B. A. B. Schell (Eds.), Willard and Spackman's Occupational Therapy, (10th ed., pp. 491-533). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Holm, M. B.,Rogers, J. C., & Stone, R. G. (2003). Person-task-environment interventions: A decision making guide. In E. B. Crepeau, E. S. Cohn & B. A. B. Schell (Eds.), Willard and Spackman's Occupational Therapy, (10th ed., pp. 460-490). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Holm, M. B., & Rogers, J. C.(2003). Activities of daily living and instrumental activities of daily living. In E. B. Crepeau, E. S. Cohn & B. A. B. Schell (Eds.), Willard and Spackman's Occupational Therapy, (10th ed., pp. 315-339). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Holm, M. B., & Rogers, J. C. (2008). Performance Assessment of Self-Care Skills (PASS). In B. Hemphill-Pearson (Ed.), Assessments in Occupational Therapy Mental Health (2nd ed., pp. 101-110). Thorofare, NJ: SLACK.
- Rogers, J. C., & Holm, M. B. (2008). Role Change Assessment: An Interview Tool for Older Adults. In B. Hemphill-Pearson (Ed.), Assessments in Occupational Therapy Mental Health (2nd ed., pp. 49-57). Thorofare, NJ: SLACK.
- Rogers, J. C., & Holm, M. B. (2008). The occupational therapy process. In E. B. Crepeau, E. S. Cohn & B. A. B. Schell (Eds.) Willard and Spackman's occupational therapy (11th ed, pp. 478-513)., Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Work experience relevant to teaching assignments and responsibilities:
- Occupational Therapist, Geriatric Research, Pittsburgh VAMC Education and Clinical Center (GRECC), Pittsburgh, PA, 2000–present
- Muse & Associates, Rehabilitation Staff TimeMeasurement (STM) study for the Congressionally- mandated rehabilitation episodic payment system, Washington, DC, 1998–2002
- Professor, Occupational Therapy, College Misericordia, Dallas, PA, 1996–99
- Postdoctoral Fellow in Rehabilitation Research, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1988–90
- Program Director, Occupational Therapy, University of Puget Sound, Tenure granted 1984, Tacoma, WA, 1984–92
- Woodrow Wilson Postdoctoral Fellow, Hampton Institute, Hampton, VA, 1980–81
- Occupational Therapy Consultant, Newport News, VA, 1980–81
- Assistant, Associate, & Full Professor with tenure, Occupational Therapy, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA, 1975–96
- Occupational Therapy Consultant, Colonial Institute, Newport News, VA, 1980–81
- Assistant, Associate Professor, Occupational Therapy, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA, 1975–87
- Senior Staff Therapist, Occupational Therapy Department, Golden Valley Health Center, Golden Valley, MN, 1973–75
- Staff Therapist, Occupational Therapy, United Hospitals, St. Paul, MN, 1972
- Field Supervisor, Mobilization of Resources Grant, West Central Missouri Rural Development Corporation, Clinton, MO, 1970–71
- Staff Occupational Therapist, Day Hospital Program, Minneapolis VAMC, Minneapolis, MN, 1969
- Staff Therapist, Occupational Therapy, University, Hospital, Minneapolis, MN, 1968
School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- Chairperson, Planning and Budgeting Committee, 2007-2011
- Chairperson, Scientific Review Committee, 2001–05
- Liaison, University of Pittsburgh HIPAA Implementation Team, 2001–05
- Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure Committee, 2000–04
- Graduate Faculty, 1999-present
- Member, Core Committee, Evidence-Based Practice and Epidemiology of Disability, 1999–present
- Member, Core Committee, International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health
- Chair, Core Committee, Policy, Organization and Management Studies,1999–present
Department of Occupational Therapy
- Director, Post-Professional Education, Occupational Therapy Department, 1999–2011
- Faculty Search Committee, Occupational Therapy Department, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008
Awards and Honors
- Fulbright Scholar Award, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan, Fall Semester 2010.
- University of Pittsburgh Provost’s Advisory Council on Instructional Excellence Innovation in Education Award for the “How Reliable Am I?” project. AY 2009-2010 ($25,000)
- Academy of Research, American Occupational Therapy Foundation, Awarded April, 2001, at the American Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
- Eleanor Clarke Slagle Lectureship, 1999. Awarded for exemplary contributions to occupational therapy research and education. Lecture given at the American Occupational Therapy Association Conference, April 3, 2000, Seattle, WA.
- An RCT on Preventing Pressure Ulcers with Seat Cushions (RCT-WC2), National Center for Medical and Rehabilitation Research and National Institute of Nursing Research, Co-Investigator, (10/1/10 – 9/30/15)
- NIH Toolbox Assessment of Neurological and Behavioral Function: Somatosensation. Site Principal Investigator, PI: Winnie Dunn, PhD, OTR/L, University of Kansas, Principal Investigator (5/1/09 – 9-30-09)
- Pittsburgh Resuscitation Network, National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute, Co-Investigator, (7/1/04 - 6/30/09)
- Developing and Assessing Competencies for Patients, Caregivers and Health Professionals for the Care of Patients Implanted with Ventricular Assist Devices, Beckwith Fund for Innovation in Healthcare, Principal Investigator, (2004-2006)
- An RCT on Preventing Pressure Ulcers with Seat Cushions, National Center for Medical and Rehabilitation Research (RCT-SC), Co-Investigator, (7/1/03 - 6/30/09)
- Maintenance Therapies in Late-Life Depression III (MTLD-III), National Institutes of Mental Health, Co Investigator, (7/1/04 - 6/31/09)
- Advanced Center in Interventions and Services Research in Late-Life Mood Disorders (ACISR), National Institute of Mental Health, Co-Investigator, (71//04 - 6/31/09)
External Service and Assignments
- Panel Member, American Heart Association/NIH Panel on Cardiac Arrest Outcomes, Washington, DC, May 5-6, 2008.
- Panel Member, Failure to Thrive Quality Indicator Panel, Development and Validation of Measures and Indicators of Quality Project, Health Care Financing Administration, 2000–01
- Panel Member, Medicare Beneficiary Access to Skilled Nursing Facilities MedPAC Panel (representing AOTA), Mathematica Policy Research Group, Princeton, NJ, 2000–01
- National Committee on Vital & Health Statistics, Subcommittee on Populations, Panel member on Functional Assessment and the International Classification of Impairments, Disabilities and Handicaps (ICIDH), April 13, 2000
- Technical Expert Panel, Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA), Study of the Variation in Prescribed Medication Costs, Method of Collection and Impact on Skilled Nursing Facility Case Mix, 2000–01
- Rehabilitation Staff Time Measurement (STM) study for the Congressionally-mandated rehabilitation prospective payment system (PPS). Field manager, 1998–2002
- Technical Expert Panel, Health Care Financing Administration (HCFA), Minimum Data Set Post Acute Care (MDS-PAC) Project (representing the American Occupational Therapy Association, 1997–2001
- Advisor to Technical Expert Panel representatives from the American Occupational Therapy Association on the National Uniform Needs Assessment Instrument (UNAI) for post-acute care, (1999)