Students pursuing the undergraduate degree in Rehabilitation Science enter the program in the junior year of their undergraduate studies.
Required credits for admission: 60 college credits
Required minimum cumulative GPA: 2.5
Required minimum prerequisite science GPA: 2.5
General Education and Prerequisite Courses
Students are required to have completed the following courses for a letter grade and earned a C- or better.
- General Biology I and Lab, 4 credits
- General Chemistry I and Lab, 4 credits
- General Physics I, 3-4 credits
- Mathematics (College Algebra or higher1), 2-3 credits
- Statistics (Applied Statistics or higher), 3-4 credits
- Introduction to Psychology, 3 credits
- Human Development 2, 3 credits
- English Comp/Intensive Writing (W)3, 6 credits
- Humanities/Social Science4, 6 credits
Total Prerequisites: 34-37 credits
1College Trigonometry or higher is highly recommended
2Students are encouraged to take REHSCI 1245 Human Development. Lifespan Development or Developmental Psychology also accepted
3ENGCMP 0200 Seminar in Composition or equivalent minimum; ENGCMP 0450 Research Writing recommended
4ANTH 0780 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology recommended
Note: Students planning to apply to graduate professional programs in health sciences are recommended to complete most of the prerequisite courses for those graduate programs (e.g. Physics II, Biology II, Chemistry II, etc.) prior to admission to the Rehabilitation Science program. Anatomy and Physiology (prerequisites for many professional health science programs) are included in the Rehabilitation Science curriculum.
Pitt Students (including regional campuses)
Complete the SHRS ApplyYourself Application. Application deadline: February 15.
Transfer students must apply to the University of Pittsburgh by completing the Office of Admission and Financial Aid's Transfer Application and selecting Rehabilitation Science as their intended field of study. International transfer students click here. Application deadline: February 15.
All applicants must:
- Submit a personal essay—a brief statement discussing why you are interested in the Undergraduate Program in Rehabilitation Science, your professional goals including how and when you became interested in that field, as well as any work or volunteer experience you have that will demonstrate your awareness of the field. Also include other areas of interest, extra-curricular activities and leadership experiences. Essays should be single or 1.5 - spaced and no more than 2 pages in length;
- Resumes are strongly recommended. These can be submitted along with your personal essay as a separate page;
- Submit one letter of recommendation. A recommendation from a college instructor/professor or recent work or volunteer supervisor is preferred;
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions from which they have college credits. Current University of Pittsburgh students do not need to provide their University of Pittsburgh transcript, and can request copies of transcripts previously submitted to Pitt from their current school. Students currently at the Dietrich School of Arts & Sciences can obtain copies of non-Pitt transcripts from the Office of Student Records, 140 Thackeray Hall, and drop them off in the SHRS Admissions Office, 4020 Forbes Tower;
- Application may be submitted while course requirements are in progress.
Please note that admission to the program is competitive. Meeting the minimum admission criteria does not guarantee admission.
Average cumulative GPA of admitted students: 3.4
Average prerequisite science GPA of admitted students: 3.2