The SHRS Champions program is a student volunteer engagement initiative open to all current SHRS students. SHRS Champions fulfill various responsibilities to make a difference on campus and beyond. You can work with groups such as the school's social media team or individually as a tutor with local school-aged youth.
Apply to become a Champion in one of several areas. These include:
Alumni and Development
Alumni and Development includes significant interactions with SHRS alumni and events such as the Day of Giving.
Community Engagement includes a variety of service opportunities that will extend student learning outside of SHRS class settings.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Through a Diversity and Equity lens, SHRS students engage in conversation around social equity issues and make recommendations regarding SHRS school climate.
Prospective Student Recruitment
Prospective Student Recruitment assists with SHRS open houses, special events and incoming student questions
SHRS Events and Activities
For special events such as Graduation, hooding ceremonies or incoming student engagement, interact with SHRS’ multiple audiences.
Through social media platforms, highlights excitement and anticipation around SHRS happenings, SHRS takeovers and student perspectives.
Students create opportunities for interdisciplinary interactions, such as the Collaborative Care Conference or engagement with alumni, staff or faculty outside of the classroom.
Whether you’re a one-term SHRS Champion or championing for consecutive years, your involvement makes a huge difference in the community!
SHRS Champions enjoy the following benefits:
- Flexible opportunities: Volunteer and participate on your own schedule.
- Network: Meet other Champions - current SHRS undergraduate and graduate students - across all disciplines!
- Be informed: Champions are often the first to learn about upcoming events and the latest SHRS news.
- Grow your skills: Acquire a tangible and marketable skill set based on your interests.
- Establish your volunteer transcript: Demonstrate to employers a record of your experience and commitment to the community.
Applications are open for the 2021-2022 year. As SHRS student leaders, SHRS Champions commit for the full academic year; most Champions volunteer 3-4 hours/ month.
Here's how to become an SHRS Champion:
- Sign up now and attend Champions orientation in the fall.
- Volunteer with your selected SHRS interest area.
- Re-apply annually if you would like to try a new interest area. Otherwise, no need to re-apply.
Following a brief SHRS Champions orientation, your SHRS Champions liaison will periodically share volunteer opportunities. It’s that simple!
Partnerships key to this program include:
- Community agencies and organizations
- SHRS staff, faculty and alumni
Check out how Emergency Medicine student Lily Nong used her experience as an SHRS Social Media Champion to show us what a week in the life of an EM student is like: