The SHRS Champions program is a student volunteer engagement initiative open to all current SHRS students. SHRS Champions fulfill various responsibilities to make a difference on campus and beyond. You can work with groups such as the school's social media team or individually as a tutor with local school-aged youth.
Apply to become a Champion in one of several areas. These include:
Alumni and Development
Alumni and Development includes significant interactions with SHRS alumni and events such as the Day of Giving.
Community Engagement includes a variety of service opportunities that will extend student learning outside of SHRS class settings.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Through a Diversity and Equity lens, SHRS students engage in conversation around social equity issues and make recommendations regarding SHRS school climate.
Prospective Student Recruitment
Prospective Student Recruitment assists with SHRS open houses, special events and incoming student questions
SHRS Events and Activities
For special events such as Graduation, hooding ceremonies or incoming student engagement, interact with SHRS’ multiple audiences.
Through social media platforms, highlights excitement and anticipation around SHRS happenings, SHRS takeovers and student perspectives.
Students create opportunities for interdisciplinary interactions, such as the Collaborative Care Conference or engagement with alumni, staff or faculty outside of the classroom.
Whether you’re a one-term SHRS Champion or championing for consecutive years, your involvement makes a huge difference in the community!
SHRS Champions enjoy the following benefits:
- Flexible scheduling: Volunteer and participate when it suits you.
- Multiple opportunities: Each term, you can choose which area is of greatest interest to you.
- Network: Meet other Champions — current SHRS undergraduate and graduate students!
- Be in the know: Champions are often the first ones to know about upcoming events and the latest SHRS news.
- Grow your skills: Acquire a tangible and marketable skill set.
- Get a volunteer transcript: Demonstrate to employers a record of your experience.
Applications are open during a short period of time at the beginning of each term. Applications are currently being accepted.
Here's how to become an SHRS Champion:
- Sign up now for volunteer opportunities this term.
- Volunteer with your areas of interest.
- Participate in SHRS events & initiatives.
After submitting your application and being accepted into the program, you will be invited to attend a brief orientation. You will then be connected with Internal & External Relations staff who will be your SHRS Champions liaison throughout the term.
At the end of the term, you will have the opportunity to provide your feedback so we may continuously improve our SHRS Champions program.
Partnerships key to this program include:
- Community agencies and organizations
- SHRS staff, faculty and alumni
Check out how Emergency Medicine student Lily Nong used her experience as an SHRS Social Media Champion to show us what a week in the life of an EM student is like: