Post Baccalaureate CSD Curriculum
At the University of Pittsburgh, we offer the following core CSD prerequisite courses in a two semester sequence. If necessary, they can be spread over a longer period. These courses are not offered online or during summer terms.
- CSD 1022 - Transcription Phonetics (3 credits)
- CSD 1023/7 - Anatomy and Physiology of Speech + lab (4 credits)
- CSD 1024/9 - Anatomy and Physiology of Hearing + lab (4 credits)
- CSD 1232: Intro to Audiology(3 credits)
- CSD 1021 - Language Development (3 credits)
- CSD 1025/8 - Hearing Science (4 credits)
- CSD 1026/30 - Speech Science (4 credits)
- CSD 1020 - Nature of Language (3 credits)(Fall)
- CSD 1031: Guided Clinical Observation (1 credit) (Fall or Spring)
- CSD 1102: Introduction to Professional and Clinical Issues (3 credits) (Spring)
- CSD 1235: Clinical Methods in CSD (3 credits) (Spring)
The above recommended courses are in line with the requirements of the University of Pittsburgh's Speech-Language Pathology graduate program. It is the individual student's responsibility to determine the requirements of other graduate programs of interest.
Non-CSD Courses and Related Requirements
Additional requirements needed to apply to CSD graduate programs in audiology and speech-language pathology may be completed prior to (recommended) or during the post-baccalaureate year.
1) In order to meet requirements specified by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), before entering a graduate program, the student must also provide transcript evidence of completion of at least one three-credit course in each of the following areas:
- college mathematics
- social/behavioral science (sociology or psychology)
- physical science (physics or chemistry)
- biological science (human biology or human anatomy/physiology)
- Additional recommended course: child development/developmental psychology (required if seeking education certification in Pennsylvania after graduate school; not required to apply to graduate school)
2) Documented completion of observation with a certified clinician is required prior to commencing a graduate program. We recommend that you complete 25 hours, if possible. It is also recommended that you complete at least 10 of these hours prior to starting our post baccalaureate program. You can check the ASHA website under ‘Find a Professional’ or the local directory for clinicians in your area. It is recommended that you shadow in a range of settings to get a perspective on the full scope of practice.