The University of Pittsburgh School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences (SHRS) is a nationally renowned leader in the field of health care education, research and clinical practice preparation. With 13 different disciplines related to health and rehabilitative care, SHRS shapes future generations of health care professionals—therapists, counselors, advocates, scientists, providers and practitioners—trained to serve the needs of all people regardless of background, levels of health or mobility. We are built on a legacy of academic excellence and innovation and fueled by passionate educators and researchers, allowing us to meet the health care and rehabilitation needs of today and drive meaningful change in the future. Learn how bold moves SHRS. #BoldMovesSHRS
SHRS Vision, Mission and Values
Established in 1969 as a health sciences school of the University of Pittsburgh, SHRS stands on its solid reputation as an international leader in rehabilitation and disabilities education, research and community service, improving the lives and independence of all people with a focus on people at risk for or having chronic conditions or disabilities and those who have traditionally been underserved and underrepresented.
To be a catalyst for a world free of barriers and disparities that allows all people, regardless of health, to have opportunities to participate in life to the fullest; to be accomplished through education, research and service.
To advance health, rehabilitation and reintegration service delivery through teaching, research and professional service.
We advance our Mission and pursue our Vision by:
- Providing an unparalleled environment for education and training
- Supporting an inter-professional approach to research to address challenges of people with acute and chronic conditions and disabilities
- Collaborating with local, national and international partners to address and improve integration of rehabilitation services in health care delivery systems, community engagement and models of care.
- Advocacy – for those less fortunate or with limited access seeking greater independence
- Excellence – in all endeavors and facets of our work
- Inclusion – in student enrollment and faculty and staff composition with a major focus on inclusion of people with disabilities
- Innovation – in teaching and educational curricula, research, technology, and product development
- Integrity – through uncompromising adherence to ethical principles, truthfulness, dignity and respect in all that we do
- Service – to all, including the disabilities community, in regard to rehabilitation and health services with a commitment to social responsibility
SHRS is dedicated to advancing our mission and vision through a series of school-wide collaborative efforts. View our current SHRS Strategic Plan and Research Framework.
SHRS programs are housed across the School's six main Departments. View a complete list of our Departments.
Dean Anthony Delitto shares why aspiring clinicians, practitioners and researchers should choose Pitt SHRS.
SHRS programs are located in several different facilities across the area. View a list of all SHRS locations.
Read about SHRS faculty, students, alumni and research in the news.
Questions? Contact us for more information.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
SHRS is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. Read about our School's commitment to justice.
Learn more about our programs, faculty, students and alumni through our School magazine, FACETS.
View our School's video series demonstrating why Pitt SHRS ranks above the rest!
SHRS Social Media Directory
Follow SHRS and all your favorite programs on social media. #PittSHRS