Main Content:

International Applicants

What English Language Proficiency scores (Duolingo, IELTS, or TOEFL) are required to apply?

Please click HERE for details about which test scores are accepted, program-specific minimum score requirements and how to provide us with your scores.

Do I have to submit Duolingo, IELTS, or TOEFL scores?

Verification of English Language Proficiency is required unless the following apply.

  • The applicant is a citizen of a country whose official language is English.
  • The applicant has completed a degree at a regionally accredited institution in the US.
  • The applicant is not a citizen of a country whose official language is English but has completed a degree program at an institution outside of the US where the language of instruction is English and where the official national language of the country in which the institution is located is English.

Please note that if you are a US Citizen but have received a degree from a country where English is not the official language you will be required to submit English language proficiency scores - even if the program curriculum was taught in English.

Can I apply for conditional admission?

We do not offer conditional admission to any of our programs.

Am I required to provide an academic credential evaluation?

If you have earned your degree from a college of university outside of the United States, you must submit a course-by-course academic credential evaluation. Please click HERE for detailed information about the credential evaluation requirement including the companies SHRS will accept a credential evaluation from.

International applicants are not required to submit an evaluation for degrees earned in the United States.

Do I need to send official transcripts?

Official transcripts are not required during the application process. If you have completed your degree out of the U.S. we require the academic credential evaluation before we can review your application for admission. If admitted, any official materials required (transcripts/mark sheets/degree certicate, etc.), will be outlined in your letter of admission.

I am an admitted student. Do I have to take an English language test when I arrive in Pittsburgh even though I received the test score required for admission by my program?

Incoming (admitted) international students with a Duolingo English Test score of less than 120, an internet-based TOEFL score of less than 100, or an IELTS Overall Band score of less than 7.0 will be required to take an English Language Proficiency Test to better assess their English Language skills. The test is taken before the beginning of the first semester, in-person, is computer-based and usually takes about two hours. The English Proficiency Test is a test of general language abilities administered by the University of Pittsburgh Department of Linguistics and the English Language Institute. 

Many new international students at Pitt take the test, and the test results are used to determine if these students may benefit from additional ESL courses. The results of this exam may be used to recommend (not require) additional English language instruction that may supplement your education. International students should meet with their academic advisor to discuss proficiency test results and recommendations. The scores will not be reported to any institution outside the University of Pittsburgh.

For more information visit

Undergraduate Applicants

How do I apply if I am a Pitt student?

Pitt students apply directly to SHRS via the SHRS ApplyYourself application. This application is for Pitt students at the main and regional campuses.

How do I apply if I am transferring from outside the University of Pittsburgh?

The transfer application process is coordinated by the main Office of Admission and Financial Aid (OAFA) at the University of Pittsburgh. You will apply using the Transfer Application found HERE. Please note that in addition to OAFA transfer application requirements, SHRS program have supplemental requirements.

Please contact the Office of Admission and Financial Aid at with any questions about the transfer application process.

Applications submitted through the SHRS ApplyYourself application system by transfer applicants will not be accepted.

What are the application deadlines for the undergraduate programs at SHRS?

Athletic Training: March 15

Communication Science: February 15

Emergency Medicine: March 15

Health Information Management: August 1

Nutrition and Dietetics: March 15

Rehabilitation Science: February 15

As an undergraduate applicant, can I apply to more than one program? Do I need to submit an application for each program?

Pitt students can apply to more than one program at SHRS. You will need to create two separate ApplyYourself application accounts, each with their own login PIN and submit a separate application for each program. You must submit all required documents for each application submitted. For example, if you request the same person write your letters of recommendation for each program, they will receive two different request emails, and must submit a different letter for each program.

As an undergraduate applicant, where can I find information about letters of recommendation?

Students currently enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh are able to request their letter of recommendation electronically through their ApplyYourself application. Your application does not have to be submitted to request a letter of recommendation, you just need to have created an account. This is the preferred process as the letter will be uploaded directly back to your application by your recommendation provider.

If your recommendation provider prefers to submit their letter in a paper format, or if you are applying to an undergraduate program as a transfer student, you need to send the SHRS Recommendation Form to your recommender and request they complete the form and send it back to the SHRS Admissions Office with their letter. You must complete the top portion of the form indicating if you waive the right to view your letter prior to sending the form to your recommendation provider.

As an undergraduate applicant, can I submit more than one letter of recommendation?

Only one letter of recommendation is required for undergraduate applications, except for the Accelerated Dietitian Nutritionist Program which requires three letters of recommendation. Recommendations should be provided from professors, employers, supervisors or others who are able to comment on your professional and educational goals and potential (no friends or relatives please).

Additional letters of recommendation may be accepted but are not recommended.

As an undergraduate applicant, am I required to submit my official University of Pittsburgh transcript if I am a Pitt student?

No. Current undergraduate students at the University of Pittsburgh do NOT need to provide their University of Pittsburgh transcript.

If you have earned college credit from any other schools, we will require those transcripts. If you a student in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, we should have access to the transcripts for any non-Pitt coursework that already appears on your Pitt transcript as Transfer Credit. If you have non-Pitt coursework that does not already appear on your Pitt transcript, you must send us an official transcript. Otherwise, we will contact you if any transcripts are required.

I am a transfer student to an undergraduate program. How do I know which of my credits will transfer? Who can I speak with about this?

The University of Pittsburgh provides a number of Connection Transfer Guides for community colleges in Western Pennsylvania which are updated annually.

You can find links to the connection transfer guides in the Additional Materials section of the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid’s Transfer Student admission page.

The SHRS Admissions Office is happy to help you! Please contact Jessica Maguire at 412-383-6557 or or Joni Keating at 412-383-6558 or with any questions..

Graduate Applicants

I have completed the FAFSA and need to provide my social security number to the University of Pittsburgh. How can I provide it securely?

If you are completing the FAFSA or expecting a 1098-T to submit to the IRS for tuition-related expenses please click here for information on how to provide your SSN to the University of Pittsburgh.

Do I need to submit transcripts from other schools if the transfer credits are listed on my main transcript?

Yes, official transcripts are required from all institutions where college credit was earned. If you are currently an undergraduate student at SHRS applying to an SHRS graduate program, please contact the SHRS Admissions Office as we should already have your transcripts.

What graduate programs at SHRS require the GRE and what institution code should I submit my GRE scores to?

Many programs at SHRS have waived their GRE requirement due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please refer to our individual program's admissions pages for the most up to date information.

I am applying via a Centralized Application Service (CAS). Is there a supplemental application required by SHRS?