We have transitioned to the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program.
Click here to learn more about Admissions for the new program.
The information below pertains to the former Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling (CRMHC) program.
- A baccalaureate degree is required, preferably in psychology, rehabilitation sciences, human services, social sciences or a related field of study.
- A minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (based on 4.0) is required.
- Applicants should possess strong interpersonal and professional skills, must be committed to developing clinical skills through clinical practice and supervision, and be open to feedback, self-assessment, and self-reflection. Applicants must communicate in a clear, organized, and logical fashion both verbally and in writing.
- Verification of English Language Proficiency. Verification is required unless the following apply:
- the applicant is a citizen of a country whose official language is English
- the applicant has completed a degree program at a regionally accredited institution in the U.S., or
- the applicant is not a citizen of a country whose official language is English but has completed a degree program at an institution outside of the U.S. where the language of instruction is English and where the official national language of the country in which the institution is located is English.
- Complete the GradCAS application.
- $50 application fee (U.S.).
- Three letters of recommendation preferably from individuals who have instructed you in academic settings and/or supervised research activities.
- A personal statement that demonstrates evidence of graduate level writing skills and discusses goals, strengths, skills and experiences that will contribute to success in the program and in the counseling profession. The essay should also include a brief statement discussing professional interest in the field of counseling and reasons for applying to the University of Pittsburgh Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling Program (500-word limit)
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Additional requirements for international applicants
- Academic Credential Evaluation from World Education Services (WES), Inc. or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. A course by course evaluation with GPA conversion is required for baccalaureate degree or higher completed at an institution outside of the United States.
- English Language Proficiency scores. Minimum scores accepted:
- Duolingo: 120. Scores should be made available electronically to "University of Pittsburgh - Health and Rehabilitation Sciences".
- IELTS: 7.0. Scores should be made available electronically to "University of Pittsburgh Health and Rehabilitation Sciences". TOEFL sub-scores of 26 for speaking and 24 for listening are required.
- TOEFL: 100. Submit electronically to institution code 2927.
March 1, 2022. Applications received after the deadline and before June 1 will be considered if space is available. Admission is available for fall semester start only.
This program requires that students complete clinical internships at facilities external to the University, and such facilities may require a criminal background check, an Act 33/34 clearance, and a drug screen to determine whether the student is qualified to participate in the clinical internships. Additionally, in order to become licensed, many states will inquire as to whether the applicant has been convicted of a misdemeanor, a felony, or a felonious or illegal act associated with alcohol and/or substance abuse.