The University of Pittsburgh’s Counseling Program, starting in Fall 2023, will enroll students in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program. This change will create a more personalized educational experience by offering a greater selection of elective courses, while maintaining the opportunity to specialize in clinical rehabilitation counseling.
To view past program information, click here: Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling Program Clinical Experiences page.
Students in the Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program participate in two clinical experiences, a 100-hour practicum and a 600-hour internship. This professional practice provides for the application of theory and the development of counseling skills under supervision. These experiences provide opportunities for students to counsel clients who represent the ethnic and demographic diversity of the community.
We have a wide range of practicum and internship sites where students are regularly placed. These sites cover a wide variety of settings including: addiction recovery centers, business and industry, K-12 schools, colleges and universities (counseling centers and disability resource centers), mental health clinics (outpatient, partial hospitalization programs, and intensive outpatient programs), corrections facilities, hospitals and medical centers, insurance companies, private practices, psychiatric rehabilitation facilities (residential treatment and social rehabilitation centers), state vocational rehabilitation agencies, Veterans’ Administration agencies, and workers’ compensation agencies.
Current sites include, but are not limited to:
- Carnegie Mellon University CaPS
- Carnegie Mellon University Office of Disability Resources
- Elliot Counseling
- Emerge Therapy
- Family Pathways
- Forward Wellness
- Gateway Rehab
- Hiram G. Andrews Center (HGAC)
- Makin Wellness
- Mon Yough Community Services
- Neurorestorative PA
- Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR)
- Ohio Valley Hospital, Outpatient Geropsychiatric Clinic
- Open Space Counseling, Consulting, & Wellness
- Penn Avenue Place Clubhouse
- People's Oakland
- Pittsburgh Mercy - Adult Diversion & Acute Stabilization Program
- Pittsburgh Mercy - Child and Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Program
- Pittsburgh Public Schools
- Pressley Ridge
- Primary Care Health Services, Inc.
- Re:solve Crisis Network
- Renewal, Inc.
- Sally and Howard Levin Clubhouse
- SHRS Wellness Pavilion
- Tadiso, Inc.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- University of Pittsburgh Counseling Center
- University of Pittsburgh, Office of Disability Resources and Services
- UPMC Services for Teens at Risk (STAR Center)
- UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Bellefield Intensive Outpatient Programs
- UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Center for Autism and Developmental Disorders (CADD)
- UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Center for Disordered Eating
- UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital Services for the Treatment of Early Psychoses (STEP)
- Wesley Family Services
We are continuously developing new sites based on student interests and needs.