The Doctor of Clinical Science (CScD) in Occupational Therapy is an advanced practice doctoral degree designed for occupational therapists who are seeking advanced knowledge and skills. There are no pre-requisite courses for this degree however, applicants must have an entry-level bachelor's or master's degree in occupational therapy from a program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) or approved by the World Federation of Occupational Therapy (WFOT).
Occupational Therapists with Bachelor's Degrees
Occupational therapists with a bachelor's degree in occupational therapy, and no additional graduate degrees, should apply to the Master of Science (MS) in Occupational Therapy. Credits in this program will satisfy the requirements for the first 30 credits of the required 72 credits of the CScD program.
Occupational Therapists with Master's Degrees
Occupational therapists with 1) an entry-level master's degree in occupational therapy, or 2) a bachelor's degree in occupational therapy and an advanced master's degree in occupational therapy (or another field) may be able to transfer up to 30 credits from their master's degree, providing that these credits meet requirements in the CScD curriculum.
- National certification in occupational therapy (NBCOT) or eligibility
- Pennsylvania state licensure in occupational therapy or eligibility
- Minimum cumulative graduate GPA of 3.0 (based on 4.0)
- Successful completion (3.0 based on 4.0) of a statistics or research methods course within the past 5 years
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE General) scores at or above the 50th percentile within the past 5 years
- Graduate level writing skills in an essay that addresses (a) rationale for pursuing an advanced practice doctorate, (b) chosen area of concentration, and (c) how the program is likely to change the applicant’s practice
- Demonstration of professional skills and conduct, collegiality, oral and written communication skills, and leadership through two letters of recommendation
Application Deadline: Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until May 1 for students intending to start the program in July of the same calendar year.
All applicants must:
- Complete the SHRS ApplyYourself application.
- Submit the application fee of $50 (U.S.).
- Submit required documents listed above.
- Additional requirements for international applicants
For more information contact the Department of Occupational Therapy at (412) 383-6620 or OTpitt@shrs.pitt.edu.