To apply for the degree program for Spring 2024, click here.
Our application deadline is November 30th. If you have questions, reach out to an enrollment specialist today.
- Applicants who received their occupational therapy training within the United States must have an entry-level master’s degree in occupational therapy (e.g., MOT) from an Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE)-accredited program, or a baccalaureate degree in occupational therapy from an ACOTE-accredited program and a master’s degree in occupational therapy or another field of study.
- Applicants who received their occupational therapy training outside of the United States must have an entry-level master’s degree in occupational therapy or a baccalaureate degree in occupational therapy from an ACOTE-accredited program and a master's degree in occupational therapy or another field of study from a World Federation of Occupational Therapy (WFOT)-approved program and meet all necessary requirements for admission to the University of Pittsburgh.
- U.S. applicants are required to have initial NBCOT certification (or eligibility). International applicants must provide equivalent certification documentation from country of residence.
- Qualified applicants will be invited to a virtual interview with the CScD in Occupational Therapy program director.
- Verification of English Language Proficiency. Verification is required unless the following apply:
- the applicant is a citizen of a country whose official language is English,
- the applicant has completed a degree program at a regionally accredited institution in the U.S., or
- the applicant is not a citizen of a country whose official language is English but has completed a degree program at an institution outside of the U.S. where the language of instruction is English and where the official national language of the country in which the institution is located is English.
Please note that the GRE is not required for admission to the program.
Occupational Therapists with Baccalaureate Degrees
Occupational therapists with a baccalaureate degree in occupational therapy, and no additional graduate degrees, should apply to the Master of Science (MS) in Occupational Therapy program.
Occupational Therapists with Master's Degrees
Occupational therapists with 1) an entry-level master's degree in occupational therapy, or 2) a baccalaureate degree in occupational therapy and an advanced master's degree in occupational therapy (or another field) may be able to transfer up to 30 credits from their master's degree, providing that these credits meet requirements in the CScD in Occupational Therapy curriculum.
- Complete the GradCAS application.
- Submit the application fee of $50 (U.S.).
- Two (2) Professional Letters of Recommendation: Letters of recommendation should attest to your professional abilities and conduct, collegiality, oral and written communication skills and leadership.*
- Evidence of graduate-level writing skills in an essay* that outlines:
- Why you are interested in pursuing the Doctor of Clinical Science in Occupational Therapy degree or Certificate in Implementation,
- Why you are interested in advancing your education through the University of Pittsburgh,
- What makes you a good fit for an advanced training education program that is delivered online, and
- The future professional goals that you hope to achieve as a result of this advanced training.
- Resume: A professional resume indicating knowledge of rehabilitation through previous paid work experiences, internships or field experiences, or volunteer work experiences.
- Transcripts from all U.S. colleges and universities attended.
- A course-by-course evaluation with GPA conversion for all higher institutions attended outside the US. The evaluation may be from World Education Services (WES), Inc. or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE), Inc.
- All admitted students will be required to provide official transcripts and/or credential evaluations to the SHRS Admissions Office prior to enrolling in classes.
- Request official English Language Proficiency test scores from one of the following options. Minimum scores accepted follow:
- Duolingo English Test: 130. Scores should be made available electronically to “University of Pittsburgh – School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences.”
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0. Scores should be made available electronically to “University of Pittsburgh Health and Rehabilitation Sciences.”
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 100. Scores should be submitted electronically through ETS to institution code "2927."
- Unofficial scores may be provided via GradCAS (in addition to the official scores required).
Your application will be reviewed once it is complete.
*Note: the essay, professional letters of recommendation and virtual interview are NOT required for Advanced Practice Certificate ONLY applicants.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis for students intending to start the program in August of the same calendar year or January of the following calendar year.
For More Information
Contact the Department of Occupational Therapy at OTpitt@shrs.pitt.edu.