We welcome applicants of all abilities/disabilities, religions, marital statuses, familial statuses, sexes, ages, sexual orientations, veteran statuses, national origins, ancestries, races, colors, genetic information, and gender identities and expressions.
Admission requirements and procedures listed below are for the on-campus Health Informatics certificate programs and Health Informatics Master of Science tracks in Data Science (DS), Health Informatics (HI), Health Care Supervision and Management (HSM), and Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA). If you are interested in earning an online HI degree or certificate, please visit online.shrs.pitt.edu.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is required. Admission may be considered for applicants with a GPA of less than 3.0 if other supporting evidence of their ability to complete the graduate program is provided.
Additional Requirements for the MSHI Data Science Track:
- A demonstrated body of knowledge in math, statistics and computer programming
Additional Requirements for the MSHI Registered Health Information Administrator Track:
- A demonstrated body of knowledge in math, statistics, and computer programming
- Anatomy and Physiology (HIM-1405), Medical Terminology, Pathophysiology and Pharmacology (HRS-1020)*
*These prerequisite requirements may be completed while students are in the program.
Application Procedures (for on-campus only)
Application Deadline: Rolling
- Complete the SHRS ApplyYourself application.
- Application fee of $50
- Two letters of recommendation are required. These recommendations should be from college level instructors or employers/professionals who have supervised your work in a paid or volunteer capacity. These individuals should be able to comment on your academic, professional, and interpersonal abilities. People submitting recommendation letters on your behalf are encouraged to send their letters to our admissions office electronically through our application system. For those people who wish to submit their letter of recommendation on paper, please forward them a copy of our Recommendation Form and follow the directions for paper recommendations.
- Statement of Purpose/Essay
- Transcript(s) from each college or university attended
- Applications can be submitted when course requirements are in progress
- Additional requirements for international applicants
All on-campus students are required to bring a wireless laptop with Microsoft platform to class for courses that incorporate hands-on learning of computer applications and technology.