This program is no longer accepting students. A Master of Science in Health Informatics program is now available with both on-campus and online options.
Graduate students in the Department of Health Information Management in the areas of Health Information Systems and Health Care Supervision & Management are required to complete an internship as part of their curriculum. The overall goal of the internship is to provide students with practical experiences to apply their knowledge and skills that they learn in their respective graduate programs.
The HIM department has affiliation agreements with approximately 200+ clinical sites for student internships. The following list provides a sample of these sites:
- Center for Connected Medicine
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh – IS Department
- Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh
- Excela Health
- Oman HIM Institute
- United Cerebral Palsy of Pittsburgh
- University of Pennsylvania Health System
- UPMC CTSI (Clinical and Translational Science Institute)
- UPMC Department of Radiology
- UPMC eRecord
- UPMC Health Track
- UPMC Interface Development
- UPMC Physician Services Division
- UPMC Radiology Division
- UPMC Technology Development Center
Prerequisites for Graduate Internships
The following are required in order for students to be eligible to participate in an internship. The student’s advisor will provide detailed information and time guidelines for completion of the requirements once the student matriculates into the graduate program.
- Physical examination including proof or completion of specific immunizations
- TB test, 2-step
- Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance
- FBI Background Check (includes fingerprinting)
- HIPAA Training and Certification
- Students must carry personal health insurance while participating in an internship
- Students must carry professional student liability insurance coverage while participating in an internship. This coverage is provided by the SHRS group insurance plan and will appear as a charge on the students’ tuition bill.
- Some sites may have additional requirements (i.e. drug screen, influenza vaccine, or orientation programs specific to their organization).
- Internship sites may not allow a student to participate in an internship at their site if the background check reports that they have been convicted of a misdemeanor; a felony; or a felonious or illegal act associated with alcohol and/or substance abuse.
- Travel to internship sites is the responsibility of the student. Students are expected to have a car or to provide their own transportation to all remote sites; no exceptions will be made. Not all sites are accessible by public transportation.
- All expenses for transportation, parking, meals, and costs of prerequisites associated with clinical education are the responsibility of the student.
- Approximate cost for clearances is $100, and costs for physical exam and immunization status are dependent on health insurance coverage and provider costs.
- Approximate cost for drug screen is $40.
- The internship is 3 credits, and requires a minimum of 180 hours of student participation.
For more information on internships students are encouraged to contact their academic advisor.