This program is designed for the practicing professional who already has earned an entry-level degree in physical therapy.
Graduate Admission Requirements
For admission to full graduate status an applicant must demonstrate:
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 from their entry-level professional physical therapy program (equivalent GPA determined via credential evaluation)
- Evidence of potential for success in a graduate program that can be demonstrated through past work experiences, continuing education, and letters of recommendation
Admissions decisions will be based on an overall evaluation of all credentials submitted and the availability of space in the class.
MSPT Application Requirements
All applicants must:
- Apply online using the SHRS ApplyYourself application;
- Submit the application fee of $50 (US);
- Submit an essay—a description of educational and long-term professional goals;
- Submit three letters of recommendation. These references can be from a college instructor/professor, academic advisor, supervisor or employer, etc. The letters should address the applicant’s academic, professional and personal attributes and potential for successful graduate study;
- Submit official transcripts/marksheets from all colleges and universities attended.
Additional requirements for International applicants:
Academic Credential Evaluation
- Evaluations are accepted from International Consultants of Delaware, Inc. (ICD), Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE) or Joseph Silney & Associates, Inc. (JS&A)
- A course by course evaluation including a grade point average equivalent is required
- A final transcript/marksheet and diploma (degree certificate) showing completion of the undergraduate degree must be submitted prior to starting the program
- If an international student has earned an undergraduate or graduate degree in the United States, this evaluation is not required
- If you are a US Citizen who earned their degree outside the US an academic credential evaluation IS required
- We do not accept WES evaluations
English Language Proficiency Scores
The University of Pittsburgh will the following as verification of english language proficiency:
- TOEFL - minimum scores accepted are 80 ibt (internet based test) or 550 pbt (paper based test). TOEFL scores must be sent via ETS to the University of Pittsburgh, institution code 2927
- IELTS - minimum score accepted is Overall Band 6.5. IELTS scores must be mailed directly from the testing center to SHRS Office of Admissions, 4020 Forbes Tower, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 15260
Verification of English Language Proficiency is required unless the following apply:
- The applicant is a citizen of a country whose ONLY official language is English
- The applicant has completed a degree at a regionally accredited institution in the U.S.
- The applicant is not a citizen of a country whose official language is English but has completed a degree program at an institution outside of the U.S. where the language of instruction is English and where the official national language of the country in which the institution is located is English
For detailed information about these requirements and additional helpful information for international applicants please visit the International Applicants information on the SHRS website.
Note: Application can be submitted while undergraduate degree is in progress provided the applicant will be able to provide evidence of successful degree completion prior to starting the program.
Application deadline: April 15th. Applications submitted and/or completed after the deadline will be reviewed on a case by case basis. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage international student applications.