University and SHRS COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements and Information
This program is designed for the practicing professional who has already earned an entry-level degree in physical therapy. Applicants must provide evidence of potential for success in a graduate program. This may be demonstrated through past work experiences, continuing education, and letters of recommendation. Admissions decisions will be based on an overall evaluation of all credentials submitted and the availability of space in the class. Qualified applicants must meet the following admission requirements:
- A first professional degree in Physical Therapy from an accredited institution.
- A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale), or equivalent, from their entry-level professional physical therapy program.
- Verification of English Language Proficiency is required unless the following apply:
- the applicant is a citizen of a country whose official language is English
- the applicant has completed a degree program at a regionally accredited institution in the U.S., or
- the applicant is not a citizen of a country whose official language is English but has completed a degree program at an institution outside of the U.S. where the language of instruction is English and where the official national language of the country in which the institution is located is English.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2023.
All applicants must:
Complete the GradCAS application which includes the following requirements:
- Application fee of $50 (U.S.).
- An essay describing educational and long-term professional goals.
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be from a former professor or instructor. The letters should address the applicant’s academic, professional and personal attributes and potential for successful graduate study.
- Unofficial transcripts from all U.S. institutions attended.
- A course-by-course evaluation with GPA conversation for all higher-level institutions attended outside the US. The evaluation may be from World Education Services (WES), Inc. or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE).
- All admitted students will be required to provide official transcripts to the SHRS Admissions Office prior to enrolling in classes.
- Request official English Language Proficiency test scores be sent to the University of Pittsburgh from one of the following options. Minimum scores accepted and instructions for sending official test scores follow:
- Duolingo English Test: 110. Scores should be made available electronically to “University of Pittsburgh – School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences”
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.5. Scores should be made available electronically to “University of Pittsburgh Health and Rehabilitation Sciences”
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 80. Scores should be submitted electronically through ETS to institution code "2927".
- Unofficial scores may be provided via GradCAS (in addition to the official scores required).
Your application will be reviewed once it is complete.
Application can be submitted while undergraduate degree is in progress provided the applicant will be able to provide evidence of successful degree completion prior to starting the program.
Admitted students who are citizens of a country whose official language is not English, and who score below 120 on the Duolingo English Test, below 100 on the TOEFL ibt, or overall band 7.0 or lower on the IELTS, will be required to take an English Language Proficiency Test to better assess their English Language skills when they arrive at the University of Pittsburgh. The results of this exam may be used to recommend (not require) additional English language instruction that may supplement your education. If you have additional questions about the test, please click here.