Applicants should have a strong interest in rehabilitation research as well as a master’s degree in an area related to rehabilitation science. The exceptional student with a bachelor’s degree, six or more credits of graduate course work, and compelling clinical/research experience in rehabilitation science will be considered.
Resources, including research mentors, must be available to enable the student to engage in a plan of study and research in the student’s major area of interest in rehabilitation research. Therefore, it is important that there is a match between the research interests of an applicant and an SHRS Rehabilitation Science graduate faculty member.
Successful applicants will have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (based on 4.0) in all college work. Students for whom English is a foreign language must have a minimum TOEFL score of 100 (internet) or Band 7.0 on the IELTS (reading and writing modules).
We do not designate a minimum score or percentile rank on the GRE. Historically the average scores of students offered admission has been above the 50th percentil (verbal & quantitative). The minimum perferred score for the written portion is 3.5.
Application Deadline: Rolling
All applicants must:
- Complete the SHRS online application
- Submit an essay stating career goals, specific research interests and experience, and clinical interests and experience.
- Provide three to five academic or work related letters of recommendation (at least one academic reference must be included).
- Have a letter of support from their identified Research Mentor.
- Submit a resume including work history, formal education, continuing education, licensing and certification, professional organizations, honors and awards, publications, presentations, and grants.
- Submit transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE General) scores to institution code 2927. The GRE must have been taken within the past 5 years.
- Provide at least one example of written work (class project, course assignment, publication for which candidate is first author, etc.).
- Additional requirements for international applicants
Applicants are evaluated by the PhD Admissions Committee. Admission to the program requires (1) the applicant to meet the standards for a PhD student in SHRS, and (2) that a faculty member of the PhD program has an opening for an additional PhD student and agrees to be the Academic Advisor for that applicant.