A bachelor's degree is required to apply to the Master of Science in Prosthetics and Orthotics program. No specific major is mandated; however, the degree should include a well-rounded general education with a distribution of courses in the sciences, mathematics, psychology, social sciences and humanities. The curriculum of study for MSPO Program is based upon an undergraduate education that provides a strong foundation in knowledge, skills and abilities required for the field.
Application Cycle Begins: July 31, 2017
Application Deadline: December 31, 2017
Prerequisite coursework includes foundation courses in the following areas:
- Physics with lab - 4 credits**
- Biology with lab - 4 credits**
- Chemistry with lab - 4 credits**
- Psychology (Abnormal or Human Growth & Development) - 3 credits
- Mathematics (algebra or higher) - 3 credits
- Human anatomy - 3 credits**
- Human physiology - 3 credits**
- Statistics - 3 credits
** Courses may not be taken in an online or e-learning setting. Candidates who submit applications with these credentials will be asked to repeat said courses prior to enrolling in the MSPO Program.
- Complete the online OPCAS application form;
- Minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA) in all college-level courses, as well as a 3.0 GPA in prerequisite coursework. Applicants with less than a 3.0 GPA but with other outstanding qualifications will be considered;
- Demonstration of adequate exposure to the profession of Orthotics and/or Prosthetics through volunteer or work experience. We recommend a minimum of 250 Observation Hours in order to satisfy this requirement. This will also allow for the practitioner to write a sufficient letter of recommendation;
- Letters of Recommendation (three required): One academic reference from a college level instructor; additional two letters of references from health-care professionals (recommend a certified Orthotist or Prosthetist);
- Submit an essay describing background leading to the choice of this profession and long-term goals;
- Official transcriptions of all college-level courses;
- Graduate Record Exam General Test (Please send to: Institution Code 2927 - Paper copies of test results are NOT accepted);
- Additional requirements for International applicants.
Class size is limited to 20 students.