Qualified applicants for the Master of Science (MS) in Occupational Therapy Program must meet the following admission requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in occupational therapy. For international students, a bachelor's degree or diploma must be from a school/university approved by the World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) in the year that the applicant graduated and/or national governmental institutions that approve/accredit occupational therapy programs to grant a degree in occupational therapy (e.g., Ministry of Health).
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (based on a 4.0).
- Evidence of graduate level writing skills
- Documented evidence of knowledge of rehabilitation through previous paid work experiences, internships or field experiences, or volunteer work experiences.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2021. Applications submitted after the deadline will be considered on a case by case basis, contact the SHRS Admissions Office for more information. Applications are accepted for enrollment beginning in the fall term only.
All applicants must:
- Complete the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences ApplyYourself application
- Submit the application fee of $50 (U.S.)
- Submit a self-evaluation essay that demonstrates evidence of graduate level writing skills and discusses goals, strengths, skills, and experiences that will contribute to success in the program and in the profession. The essay should also include a brief statement discussing interest in the field of study and reasons for applying to the University of Pittsburgh.
- Provide three letters of recommendation, preferably from individuals who have taught the applicant in an academic setting and/or supervised clinical activities. Letters of recommendation should address academic, professional and personal attributes, and potential for successful graduate education.
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. For international students, original or certified (notarized) copies of all original language academic records (mark sheets, transcripts) from all postsecondary institutions attended. Where the official original documents are issued in a language other than English, certified English translations must also be submitted. Certified copies of the original certificates or diplomas awarded at the completion of studies must also be submitted.
- Interview (personal or virtual) with the MS Program Director and at least one other faculty member from the Department of Occupational Therapy.
- Additional requirements for international applicants - including academic credential evaluations and the English language proficiency requirement.
For information about our program, please contact the Department of Occupational Therapy at OTpitt@shrs.pitt.edu.