Qualified applicants for the Master of Science (MS) in Occupational Therapy Program must meet the following admission requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in occupational therapy. For international students, a bachelor's degree or diploma must be from a school/university approved by the World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT) in the year that the applicant graduated and/or national governmental institutions that approve/accredit occupational therapy programs to grant a degree in occupational therapy (e.g., Ministry of Health).
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00 (based on a 4.00 scale).
- Evidence of graduate level writing skills in a self-evaluation essay that discusses goals, strengths, skills, and experiences that will contribute to success in the program and in the profession. The essay should also include a brief statement discussing interest in the field of study and reasons for applying to the University of Pittsburgh.
- Documented evidence of knowledge of rehabilitation through previous paid work experiences, internships or field experiences, or volunteer work experiences.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from individuals who have taught the applicant in an academic setting and/or supervised clinical activities. Letters of recommendation should address academic, professional and personal attributes, and potential for successful graduate education.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended. For international students, original or certified (notarized) copies of all original language academic records (mark sheets, transcripts) from all postsecondary institutions attended. Where the official original documents are issued in a language other than English, certified English translations must also be submitted. Certified copies of the original certificates or diplomas awarded at the completion of studies must also be submitted.
- Interview (personal or virtual) with the MS Program Director and at least one other faculty member from the Department of Occupational Therapy.
In addition, internationally educated students will be required to provide:
- An Academic Credential Evaluations - see details.
- An official score report (from ETS) of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 550 on the written test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 80 on the internet-based test is required from all applicants whose native language is not English and/or who have not completed an academic degree from a college or university in the U.S. where the method of instruction is English. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores are also accepted. The minimum IELTS score is 6.5. Exemption can be applied for:
- applicants who have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S., or
- citizens of a country where the official language is English.
All applicants must:
- Complete the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences ApplyYourself online application;
- Submit the application fee of $50 (U.S.);
- Submit required documents (Admission Requirements).
- Applications are accepted for enrollment beginning in the Summer term only (May). The deadline for submitting the application and all materials is February 1.
For information about our program, please contact the Department of Occupational Therapy at OTpitt@shrs.pitt.edu.