Completion of the following courses for a letter grade:
- General Biology I and Lab, 4 credits
- General Chemistry I and Lab, 4 credits
- General Physics I, 3-4 credits
- Mathematics (College Algebra or higher1), 2-3 credits
- Statistics (Applied Statistics or higher), 3-4 credits
- Introduction to Psychology, 3 credits
- Human Development 2, 3 credits
- English Comp/Intensive Writing (W)3, 6 credits
- Humanities/Social Science4, 6 credits
1College Trigonometry or higher is highly recommended.
2Students are encouraged to take REHSCI 1245 Human Development. Lifespan Development or Developmental Psychology are also accepted.
3ENGCMP 0200 Seminar in Composition or equivalent minimum; ENGCMP 0450 Research Writing or ENGCMP 0440 Critical Writing recommended
4ANTH 0780 Introduction to Cultural Anthropology recommended
- Required credits for admission: 60 (Applications may be submitted while prerequisite coursework is in progress.)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 and prerequisite GPA of 2.5 (based on 4.0)
- A minimum grade of C- in all courses designated as prerequisites taken at the University of Pittsburgh; a C or better is required for transfer.
Application Deadline: February 15
Early applicants welcome. Application review begins in January.
Pitt Students (including regional campuses)
Complete the SHRS ApplyYourself Application.
Transfer students must apply to the University of Pittsburgh by completing the Office of Admission and Financial Aid's Transfer Application and selecting Rehabilitation Science as their intended field of study. International transfer students click here.
All applicants must:
- Submit a personal statement discussing your interest in the Undergraduate Program in Rehabilitation Science and your professional goals. The statement should include a short story describing a meaningful experience that helped shape your path toward Rehabilitation Science and reveal your personality, values, and the unique contribution you will make to the Rehabilitation Science Program. Essays should be approximately 500-750 words in length and single or 1.5 spaced.
- Resumes are required.
- Submit one letter of recommendation. A recommendation from a supervisor from a health care/disability related experience or a college faculty member is preferred.
- Submit official transcripts from all institutions from which you have earned college credits. Current University of Pittsburgh students do not need to provide their University of Pittsburgh transcript, and can request copies of transcripts previously submitted to Pitt from their current school. Students currently at the Dietrich School of Arts & Sciences can obtain copies of non-Pitt transcripts from the Office of Student Records, 140 Thackeray Hall, and drop them off in the SHRS Admissions Office, 4020 Forbes Tower.
Please note that admission to the program is competitive. Meeting the minimum admission criteria does not guarantee admission.
Students planning to apply to graduate professional programs in health sciences are recommended to complete most of the prerequisite courses for those graduate programs (e.g. Physics II, Biology II, Chemistry II, etc.) prior to admission to the Rehabilitation Science program. Anatomy and Physiology (prerequisites for many professional health science programs) are included in the Rehabilitation Science curriculum.