Combining Classroom and Clinical Education
We prepare our students with clinical education that complements classroom education. Graduate students in sports medicine are eligible for assistantships in the Neuromuscular Research Lab at the UPMC Center for Sports Medicine or with University of Pittsburgh Athletics, while our students in Nutrition and Dietetics and Athletic Training learn from supervised practice experiences in a variety of major health care and community settings including the renowned University of Pittsburgh Health Care System (UPMC). In either venue, our students gain real-world experience that helps prepare them for satisfying careers.
Prerequisites for Clinical Education and Supervised Practice Experiences
The following are required in order for students to be eligible to participate in clinical education in the Athletic Training program or supervised practice in the Dietitian Nutritionist Program. Program Clinical Coordinators will provide detailed information and time guidelines for completion of all requirements.
- Physical examination including proof or completion of specific immunizations
- Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check*
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance*
- FBI Background Check*
- EMT Certification ( AT program)
- CPR Training and Certification (CMD program)
- HIPAA Training and Certification
- Bloodborne Pathogen Training and Certification
- Students must carry personal health insurance while participating in clinical education and supervised practice.
- Students must carry professional student liability insurance coverage while participating in clinical education and supervised practice. This coverage is provided by the SHRS group insurance plan and will appear as a charge on the students’ tuition bill.
*In the Athletic Training program, this is only required of students who are assigned to a high school clinical setting.
Travel to clinical education or supervised practice sites is the responsibility of the student. Students are expected to have a car or to provide their own transportation to all remote sites; no exceptions will be made. Not all sites are accessible by public transportation.
All expenses for transportation, parking, meals, and cost of prerequisites associated with clinical education or supervised practice are the responsibility of the student.