Admissions Selection Criteria Include:
- A minimum GPA of 2.5 (based on 4.0)
- A minimum prerequisite GPA of 2.5
- A minimum grade of C- in all courses designated as prerequisites taken at the University of Pittsburgh; a C or better is required for courses taken elsewhere.
- Submission of one letter of recommendation (college instructor/professor, recent supervisor, or academic advisor preferred)
- Submission of a personal statement discussing why the applicant is interested in the program and the field of nutrition science, career goals, and any work or volunteer experience in the field.
- Please note that admission is competitive. Meeting the minimum admission criteria does not guarantee admission.
Prerequisites for Admission:
Completion of the following courses:
- Foundations of Biology 1, BIOSC 0150, 3 credits
- Foundations of Biology Lab 1, BIOSC 0050, 1 credit
- Foundations of Biology 2, BIOSC 0160, 3 credits
- Introduction to Microbiology, BIOSC 1850, 3 credits*
- General Chemistry 1 with Lab, CHEM 0110, 4 credits
- General Chemistry 2 with Lab, CHEM 0120, 4 credits
- Organic Chemistry 1, CHEM 0130, 3 credits
- Organic Chemistry 2, CHEM 0320, 3 credits
- English Composition, ENGCMP 0200, 3 credits
- Research Writing or Intensive Writing Course, ENGCMP 0450, 3 credits
- Algebra or Higher Math, MATH 0031, 3 credits
- Introduction to Psychology, PSY 0010, 3 credits
- Genetics, BIOSC 0350, 3 credits**
- Statistics, STAT 0200 or STAT 1000, 4 credits
- Introduction to Human Nutrition, HRS 1006 or NUTR 1006, 3 credits
These are not prerequisites for our program but are strongly suggested for students because they are prerequisites for other professional degrees. Some of these courses may be taken after entering the Nutrition Science program.
- Foundations of Biology Lab 2, BIOSC 0067/0068, 1 credit
- Microbiology Lab, BIOSC 1855, 1 credit
- Organic Chemistry 2 Lab, CHEM 0345, 2 credits
- Introduction to Physics 1, PHYS 0110, 3 credits
- Introduction to Physics 2, PHYS 0111, 3 credits
- Introduction to Lab Physics, PHYS 0212, 2 credits
*Students can also take HRS 1025 Introduction to Microbiology instead of BIOSC 1850 or they can take NUR 0031 Microbiology and NUR 0032 Microbiology Lab instead of BIOSC 1850/BIOSC 1855
**Genetics can be taken prior to entering the program or after having entered the program