Main Content:

Inviting Friends or Relatives to Graduation or Short Term Visits

If you are interested in inviting your friends or relatives to graduation or a short visit to the United States, it is NOT necessary to obtain any documents from OIS or the SHRS Dean’s Office in order to assist them in obtaining a U.S. visa.

NOTE:  This information is to be used if you will NOT be sponsoring dependents on your own F or J visa status. 

Below is a list of suggested items to send to relatives and/or friends when inviting them to the United States for a visit. They, in turn, take these documents to the U.S. consulate or embassy to assist in their visa application.

1. A letter in English to whom you are inviting into the U.S. This letter should state:

  • The purpose of their visit, i.e. graduation, vacation, birth of baby, etc.,
  • The duration of the visit.

2. Visa application forms and fees. Check US Consulate or Embassy’s website for further details.

3. Provide a copy of your immigration documents (Passport, visa, I-94 card, I-20, DS-2019, I-797 approval etc.).

4. Students obtain a copy of your official transcripts from the Registrar’s Office at

Complete information about applying for and obtaining a visitor visa may be found at

If you have any questions on this, please contact OIS.