The Fall 2024 application will open in October 2023!
Currently certified paramedics or US SOCOM Advanced Tactical Paramedics may enter the EM program as Emergency Medicine Degree Completion students (Senior Transfers), provided they have earned 51 prerequisite and general education credits. These students must complete 30 core credits within the University of Pittsburgh School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences to earn an undergraduate degree. EM Degree Completion is offered in two formats: traditional in-person or asynchronous online.
Admission Requirements for currently certified paramedics
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (based on 4.0).
- 51 credits are required to start the program. Credits taken towards paramedic certification/licensure are not included towards these required college credits.
- Current certification as a paramedic, Advanced Tactical Paramedic (ATP), or equivalent.
Grade of C- (C for transfer), 3 credits minimum
- Seminar in Composition, 1 course
- Writing Intensive, 1 course
- Oral Communication, 1 course
- Algebra, 1 course. Exemption accepted
- Statistics, 1 course
- Diversity, 1 course
- Literature, The Arts, Creative Work or Philosophical Thinking and Ethics, 1 course
- Social Sciences, 1 course
- Natural Sciences, 1 course
- Cross-Cultural Awareness, Global Issues, or Specific Geographic Region, 1 course
- Complete the application. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Applications may be submitted while prerequisite coursework is in progress.
- Submit a one- to two-page personal essay discussing how you became interested in the field, any work or volunteer experience you have that demonstrates your awareness of the field, and your long-term professional goals. Also include other areas of interest, extracurricular activities, and leadership experiences.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Interview with the Emergency Medicine faculty. The EM program will contact you in the spring term to schedule an interview.