We are moving to a new application platform! Please check back soon for links to access the application portal! Application review for Fall 2022 admission begins in January 2022.
We welcome applicants of all abilities/disabilities, religions, marital statuses, familial statuses, sexes, ages, sexual orientations, veteran statuses, national origins, ancestries, races, colors, genetic information, and gender identities and expressions.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (based on 4.0) is required for admission.
- 60 credits are required to begin the program.
- Prerequisites must be completed for a letter grade, minimum grade of C- (C for transfer) unless otherwise noted; with the exception of AP/IB credits and/or exemptions awarded by the University of Pittsburgh. Courses listed below are offered at the Pittsburgh Campus, courses taken at the regional Pitt campuses or external institutions must be evaluated as equivalent to satisfy these requirements. Applications may be submitted while prerequisite coursework is in progress.
- Psychology, 3 credits
- Natural Science (Any Biology, Chemistry or Physics course), 3 credits
- Communication (Public Speaking preferred), 3 credits
- Computer Programming, 3 credits
- Composition/General Writing, 6 credits
- Mathematics*, 2–3 credits
- Statistics*, 3–4 credits
- Humanities/Social Science, 6 credits
- Volunteer or paid work experience in HIM is recommended, not required.
*A combination of six credits of math and statistics is required.
- Complete the application for admission
- Pitt students (link coming soon)
- Transfer students (link coming soon)
- Submit a personal essay—a brief statement discussing why you are interested in the Undergraduate Program in Health Informatics, your professional goals including how and when you became interested in this field of study. You may also include other areas of interest, extra-curricular activities and leadership experiences.
- Submit one letter of recommendation. Recommendation from a college instructor/professor, recent supervisor or academic advisor preferred.
- Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended are required prior to review. Pitt students do NOT need to supply their Pitt transcript. However, if you have earned college credit from any other schools, we will require those transcripts. If you are a student in the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences, we should have access to the transcripts for any non-Pitt coursework that already appears on your Pitt transcript as Transfer Credit. If you have non-Pitt coursework that does not already appear on your Pitt transcript, you must send us an official transcript. Otherwise, we will contact you if any transcripts are required.
Once your application is complete, an admission decision is typically available in a few weeks. Application review begins in January.
All students are required to bring a wireless laptop with Microsoft platform to class for courses that incorporate hands-on learning of computer applications and technology.