Main Content:

What is the post baccalaureate program at Pitt?

  • A program that allows students with undergraduate degrees in areas other than communication science to enroll as a non-degree student in our department while you complete the necessary prerequisite courses for a graduate degree in Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) or Audiology (Aud).  The prerequisite courses can be completed in one year (a fall-spring sequence) or spread out over two or more years.

What CSD courses are offered and when?

  • At prsent, the courses are offered in the Fall and Spring.
    • FALL
      1. CSD 1020: Nature of Language/Introduction to Linguistics (3 credits)
      2. CSD 1022: Transcription Phonetics (3 credits)
      3. CSD 1023/7: Anatomy and Physiology of Speech + lab (4 credits)
      4. CSD 1024/9: Anatomy and Physiology of Hearing + lab (4 credits)
      5. CSD 1232: Intro to Audiology (3 credits)
    • SPRING
      1. CSD 1021: Language Development (3 credits)
      2. CSD 1025/8: Hearing Science (4 credits)
      3. CSD 1026/30: Speech Science (4 credits)
      4. CSD 1235: Clinical Methods in CSD (3 credits)

Are the CSD prerequisite courses at Pitt sufficient to apply to other graduate programs in SLP or AUD?

  • Yes, our courses cover knowledge in all of the core areas and in some topics, go into a lot more depth than in other program, providing you with an excellent background.

Can these CSD courses be taken elsewhere?

  • Yes, these courses can be taken at any other ASHA accredited university. Courses may have another name or be combined (ex: anatomy and physiology of speech and hearing; speech and hearing science). It is important you take classes that cover the following core areas:
    1. Introduction to Linguistics
    2. In depth course in Transcription Phonetics
    3. Anatomy and Physiology of both Speech and Hearing
    4. Speech and Hearing Science
    5. A course that covers the principles of assessment and remediation in the field
    6. A course in language development through a CSD department


  • Unfortunately, faculty/staff will not be available to evaluate courses that you plan to take at other universities to determine equivalency. 

Are there other additional courses required?

  • In order to meet requirements specified by the American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA), the student must also provide evidence of completion of at least one three-credit course in each of the following areas:
    1. ​Statistics
    2. College Mathematics
    3. Social/Behavior Science (Sociology, Psychology)
    4. Physical Science (most graduate programs prefer physics; chemistry might work, but you would have to check that specific graduate program requirements)
    5. Biological Science (human biology, human anatomy or physiology will be accepted by most graduate programs. Neuroscience may be accepted by some, but not all -- you need to check with specific graduate programs)
  • If you plan to work in a school setting after becoming a licensed SLP, you will also need to complete a course in Child Development/Developmental Psychology 

What else is required with the application?

  • An official transcript confirming satisfactory completion of a bachelor’s degree in any field.
  • Official transcripts from all other colleges/universities attended.
  • You will be required to submit answers to two questions addressing what you have done to learn more about the field and what academic/other skills you have developed during your college career (and beyond if appropriate).  Details provided in the application form.
  • A $50 application fee.

When do I apply? When am I notified?

  • You can submit your application between the dates of January 1st - March 30th.   You are notified by mid-April for the program which starts the following fall term.
  • Applications are on-going, so if you inquire after the deadline and there are still spots available, you could still be admitted for the fall term.  

Is it competitive to get into the post-bacc program?

  • Somewhat, depending on the number of applicants and the number of spots available (which fluctuates from year-to-year). 

Do I need to take the GRE for post-bacc application?

  • The GRE is not required for post-bacc application. The GRE is for graduate school applications.

When should I take the GRE?

  • GRE scores are valid for two years after the testing year in which you took the GRE. If you are completing the post-bacc degree in a year, you should take the GRE the summer prior to your post-bacc year. If you are completing the post-bacc degree in two or more years, you could take the GRE the summer before you apply for graduate school (second summer).

Where can I find out more about SHRS, Pitt’s CSD Department, and professors of SLP and Audiology?   

Are there scholarships available to post-baccs?

  • Unfortunately there are no grants or scholarships directly available for post-baccs. 

Would I be eligible for financial aid? 

  • Yes, you may be.  You need to apply through the University Office of Admissions and Financial Aid ( While it is normally necessary to be enrolled as a degree-seeking student to be eligible for financial aid, this requirement is often waived.  

Once accepted, how do I register?

  • You will discuss your classes with post bacc faculty/staff who will then register you for classes.  The schedule is pre-determined by when courses are offered (fall or spring) and spring courses often have a pre-requisite.  Therefore, you cannot start the PB program in the spring.  Since you are taking a full schedule of upper level courses over a concentrated period of time, there is not much room for additional courses.  This is why we suggest taking any of the non-CSD required courses (Physics, Child Development, Biology, etc.) prior to being enrolled as a post-bacc student.  

Do I need to complete FIELD observation hours before I apply?

  • You should complete 10 hours of clinical observation by the time you start your post-bacc courses. You are encouraged to do more than that in a variety of settings since you will need 25 observation hours when you apply to graduate school. You will need to observe an ASHA certified Speech Language Pathologist or Audiologist and have them sign an observation log with the date and his/her licensure number. 

How do I find places to observe?

  • To find clinicians practicing in your area, there is a ‘Find a Professional’ link on the ASHA website that you can use to get started Also, check online for professionals who practice in your area. Request to observe for a few hours and inquire about facility guidelines related to clearances and/or dress codes. 

Am I guaranteed a place in Pitt’s master’s program if I take post-bacc courses there?

You are NOT guaranteed a spot in Pitt’s master’s program because the application process is highly competitive. We do not have a contiguous Post Baccalaureate-Master’s Program. Students who get accepted into an SLP or Audiology graduate program at Pitt typically have cumulative GPAs of >3.5, robust GRE scores, strong letters of reference, and extracurricular activities on their resumes that demonstrate leadership skill and outside group affiliations.   Application to other graduate programs across the country may be less competitive, but a GPA of at least 3.3 will be required by most. 

When can I apply to Pitt or other CSD graduate programs?

  • You would apply to a graduate program once you had completed approximately half of the prerequisite courses (and can show that you are registered to complete the rest prior to starting a graduate program). Most school applications are due in January, but this varies.  Check each program’s deadline on that university’s website.

What are Pitt’s tuition rates?

Do I get a Pitt ID and what can I use it for?

  • Yes, you will receive a Pitt ID (with full access). More information regarding IDs will be given to you upon your acceptance into the program.  Your Pitt ID also allows you free transport on all Allegheny County buses.