The Department of Occupational Therapy’s mission is to:
- Educate entry-level professional students to practice evidenced-based occupational therapy in a variety of healthcare, community, and educational settings; manage occupational therapy service delivery; and contribute to the profession through service and participation in research;
- Provide customized courses of study for post-professional students (masters and doctoral), designed to meet their individual learning needs and to enhance their ability to assume leadership roles in practice, education, research, program development, and program evaluation;
- Provide continuing education for practicing therapists to facilitate their continued competence;
- Plan and engage in research to advance occupational therapy (and rehabilitation) practice and education; and
- Serve the University and public and professional communities through participation in University and community service and professional associations.
The University of Pittsburgh Department of Occupational Therapy will be nationally and internationally recognized as a leader in occupational therapy education, a pioneer in occupational therapy research, and a partner in regional practice and development.