- Bilingual Phonology Lab
- Brain & Communication Undergrad Research Experience
- Brain Systems for Language Lab
- Communication and Cognition Lab
- Computational Deglutition Lab
- Helou Laboratory for Vocal Systems Anatomy and Physiology Research
- Language Rehabilitation and Cognition Lab
- Language and Brain Lab (LABlab)
- Sound Brain Lab
- HEAR Core
- CSD Podcast
- Child Language and Literacy Lab
- Speech Neural Systems Lab
- Student Outcome Data
- Virtual Tours
Department of Communication Science and Disorders
Driven by the impact of finding solutions
Pitt’s Department of Communication Science and Disorders is making an impact on clinical best practices through exceptional academic programs and interdisciplinary research collaborations. We not only study the processes of human language, speech, voice, swallowing, hearing and balance, we delve into the nature of these disorders, and how to evaluate, manage and prevent them.
Renowned faculty collaborate with like-minded scientists in other disciplines at the University and beyond. State-of-the-art research laboratories foster team-based science that leads to novel treatments and interventions that improve patient outcomes.
Through our 3rd-ranked Speech-Language Pathology and 7th-ranked Audiology programs, our students actively participate in clinical fieldwork—serving patients from newborns to the elderly—finding new ways to tap the human potential to absorb and express ideas. Upon graduation, they are ready to assume leadership roles in universities, hospitals, long-term care facilities, schools and rehabilitation centers, as well as private practice.