University and SHRS COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements and Information
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 (based on 4.0). Students with a lower GPA may be admitted provisionally.
- 60 credits are required to start the program. Students who will have completed a minimum of 54 credits may be eligible.
- Seminar in Composition*, 1 course
- Writing Intensive, 1 course. ENGCMP 0400, 0450, 0530, 0535 recommended.
- Oral Communication, 1 course. COMMRC 0520 preferred; 0500, 0510, 0530 acceptable.
- College Algebra, 1 course. MATH 0031 or higher math required. Exemption not accepted.
- Statistics (STAT 0200 or STAT 1000 preferred).
- Introduction to Psychology, PSY 0010 required.
- Biological Science: Human Biology (BIOSC 0150, 0805, 0815) or any Human Anatomy & Physiology course required.
- Physical Science: Physics (PHYS 0091 or PHYS 0110) or Chemistry (CHEM 0110 or higher) required.
- Other Course Requirements (to be met before graduation)
- Social Science* OR Quantitative and Formal Reasoning*, 1 course
- Diversity*, 1 course.
- Philosophical Thinking or Ethics*, 1 course
- Literature*, 1 course.
- Lifespan/Human Development: PSYED 005, REHSCI 1245, or PSY 0310 required.
- Cognitive/Neurological Foundations: PSY 0405, 0410, 0421, 0422, 0505, 0510; or NROSCI 0080, 0081, 1000 required.
- Cross-Cultural Awareness*, Global Issues*, Specific Geographic Region*, 1 course. May also be satisfied through Study Abroad.
*See the Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences General Education Course Catalog.
- Complete the application by the March 1 deadline. Applications may be submitted while prerequisite coursework is in progress.
- A personal essay addressing the following:
- What you have done to learn about the field of communication science and disorders (both the science and clinical practice) in preparation for majoring in our undergraduate program in communication science? (maximum word count: 200 words); and,
- Communication Science is a challenging major, and for those who plan to pursue graduate programs for health-related and science fields, the application process will be very competitive. Please explain what academic and personal skills you have developed since starting college that will allow you to be successful in this major. What do you feel are the critical skills, practices, and attitudes that you must continue to work on as you proceed further in your academic studies? (max. word count: 500 words);
- Resumes are strongly recommended.
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.