The University of Pittsburgh Division 1 Sports Physical Therapy Fellowship is a post-professional planned learning experience designed to promote the fellow’s capability to provide physical therapy services in a Division 1 collegiate sports setting and didactic instruction to physical therapy students.
The program is a 12-month appointment that will start in January. The fellow’s responsibilities include completing a didactic curriculum, providing physical therapy services to University of Pittsburgh student athletes, and assisting in the instruction of our school's Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) students. Fellows will work directly in the athletic training room as part of the sports medicine team. This will include practice/game coverage, rehabilitation of injuries, and working alongside athletic trainers, strength and conditioning coaches, physicians, sports performance team members and dietitians.
Fellows will serve as teaching assistants in the musculoskeletal curriculum of our DPT program's residential and hybrid options. Responsibilities include assisting in lab and teaching lectures and lab sessions.
- Licensed physical therapist
- Current license as an EMT, and/or current certification as an Emergency Medical Responder
- Possesses/Eligible to Possess Board-Certification in Sports or Orthopaedic Physical Therapy OR graduated from an accredited Sports or Orthopaedic Residency program
- Certified Athletic Trainer preferred, but not required
- Current license in CPR
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of intention describing why you are applying to a Division 1 Sports Fellowship
- Three letters of recommendation, all from licensed physical therapists speaking to your ability to successfully function in a competitive athletic environment, in a rigorous didactic program, and in assisting to teach in a top ranked physical therapy program
For more information, please contact the Program Director Rick Joreitz at email@example.com.
Anticipating approval for accreditation.
Applications will be accepted from May 1, 2023 to July 31, 2023.
Please submit your full application at https://rfptcas.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login
The mission of the University of Pittsburgh Division 1 Sports Physical Therapy Fellowship is to provide an advanced education to sports physical therapists in division 1 sports in order to develop skills and experience in the management of athletes participating in division 1 sports. The sports physical therapist will enhance their clinical knowledge and skills to enhance the recovery and return to sport activity in the population served. The program is dedicated to growth, strategic initiative, and continuous improvement.
Module 1: Upper Extremity
- Elbow, wrist and hand
Module 2: Lower Extremity
- Foot and ankle
Module 3: Spine
2023: Awaiting first fellow graduation