Note: April SHRS Recognition Day ceremonies are cancelled. A decision has not yet been made as to whether or not they will be rescheduled at a later date. In-person University commencement ceremonies have been postponed, but Pitt will offer a virtual celebration honoring the achievements of the Class of 2020.
Graduation is not an automatic process, you must submit a Graduation Application. See deadlines below for the term in which you are graduating.
It is the responsibility of the student to note any minors or certificates when submitting his or her Graduation Application to Student Services. See the instructions following the important deadlines listed below.
Please refer to the deadlines below for submitting a Graduation Application to SHRS.
SHRS Graduation Application Deadlines
SHRS April 2020 Graduation Application Deadlines: (Graduation Term - 2204)
- April graduates will submit a Graduation Application starting on September 24th
- Final date to submit an application is November.9th.
SHRS June 2020 Graduation Application Deadlines: (Graduation Term - 2207)
- June graduation is reserved for OT & Sports Science degrees. All other degrees must be approved by the SHRS Dean's Office Registrar. Graduation Applications must be turned in by January 13th, in order to be invited to walk in the April SHRS Recognition Day.
SHRS August 2020 Graduation Application Deadlines: (Graduation Term - 2207)
- August graduates will submit a Graduation Application in early May.
- Any application received after the beginning of June will incur a late fee.
- Final date to submit an application is early August.
SHRS December 2020 Graduation Application Deadlines: (Graduation Term - 2211)
- December Graduates will submit a Graduation Application starting the beginning of July.
- Any application turned in after Sept. 13th will incur a late fee.
- Final date to submit an application is October 1st.
Please turn in Graduation Applications to student services on the fourth floor of Forbes Tower or your department administrator, as directed.
- The address you include on the application, must be where you want your diploma sent after you graduate. If you are unsure you may put in a family or friends address.
Certificates Received at SHRS
If you're receiving an SHRS certificate, please note this on the SHRS Graduation Application page 2.
Certificates received at another school require a separate Graduation Application.
If you are graduating with an ARTS & SCIENCE CERTIFICATE you need to complete a separate Graduation Application for A&S. Go to the A&S Office in 140 Thackeray to complete this form.
The deadline to apply for a certificate or dual degree at A&S:
- December 2019 Graduates - applications will be available starting March 25th and due back to A&S no later than July 8th. - (Accepted with a $25 fee until Aug. 28, 2019)
- April 2020 Graduates - applications will be available starting Oct. 28th and due back to A&S no later than Nov.7th.
- August 2020 Graduates - applications will be available starting February 10th and due back to A&S no later than March 20th.
- December 2020 Graduates - applications will be available starting March 23rd and due back to A&S no later than July 7th.
If you have any question regarding your certificate and application deadlines at A&S, please email Lisa Machi in A&S: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minors at another School should be included on SHRS Grad App.
If you are receiving a minor at another School please make a note of it in the top margin of your Graduation Application. We will include it on your SHRS application.
Dual degrees are not included on SHRS Grad App.
If you are completing a dual degree at another School, you must apply for graduation at that School with a separate Graduation Application. Please contact the other School for instructions and deadlines.
The address that you put on the Graduation Application should be where you want your diploma sent after you graduate. Please do not use a temporary address. If your address is going to change after you apply for graduation, please contact Courtney Fleck at email@example.com to make the necessary adjustments. *** Note: Courtney will be on Maternity Leave until the end of May - Please contact Jordan Ulrich at firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Your name on your Graduation Application must be identical to the way it appears on the University's student information system. You will be required to provide legal documentation to change your name. The acceptable documentation is a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, formal court order or a valid passport.
Please do not wait to apply for graduation and pay a fee even if you are not sure that you will graduate. There is no cost to decline your Graduation Application for a specific term. If you are declined graduation, you will simply reapply the next term with a new Graduation Application.
If you are completing a master's thesis or dissertation, please visit the Doctoral/Master Thesis web page for instructions on the ETD process. Please email Courtney Fleck at email@example.com to obtain your ETD packet. ** Note: Courtney will be on Maternity Leave until the end of May - Please contact Jordan Ulrich at firstname.lastname@example.org