Note: April SHRS Recognition Day ceremonies are cancelled. A decision has not yet been made as to whether or not they will be rescheduled at a later date. In-person University commencement ceremonies have been postponed, but Pitt will offer a virtual celebration honoring the achievements of the Class of 2020.
Graduation is not an automatic process, you must submit a Graduation Application. See deadlines below for the term in which you are graduating.
It is the responsibility of the student to declare (notify) any other Pitt Schools that they are doing a minors/certificates/dual degrees prior to submitting their Graduation Application to SHRS.
Please refer to the deadlines below for submitting a Graduation Application to SHRS and talk with your Department Admistrator for department deadlines.
SHRS Graduation Application Deadlines
SHRS April 2021 Graduation Application Deadlines: (Graduation Term - 2214)
- April graduates will submit a Graduation Application starting on September 24th
- Final date to submit an application is November.7th.
SHRS June 2021 Graduation Application Deadlines: (Graduation Term - 2217)
- June graduation is reserved for OT & Sports Science degrees. All other degrees must be approved by the SHRS Dean's Office Registrar.
SHRS August 2021 Graduation Application Deadlines: (Graduation Term - 2217)
- August graduates will submit a Graduation Application in early May.
- Any application received after the beginning of June will incur a late fee.
- Final date to submit an application is beginning of August.
SHRS December 2020 Graduation Application Deadlines: (Graduation Term - 2211)
- December Graduates will submit a Graduation Application starting the beginning of July.
- Any application turned in after Sept.14th will incur a late fee.
- Final date to submit an application is Beginning of December.
Please turn in Graduation Applications to your department administrator, as directed in the email you will recieve from them.
- The address you include on the application, must be where you want your diploma sent after you graduate. If you are unsure you may put in a family or friends address.
Minors at another School should be included on SHRS Grad Application
If you are receiving a minor at another School, please note this on the SHRS Graduation Application page 2.
You must have "declared" your minor with the other Pitt School prior to turning in your graduation application. Check with that school to make sure your minor is declared.
Certificates Received at SHRS
- If you're receiving an SHRS certificate, please note this on the SHRS Graduation Application page 2.
Certificates received at another school require a separate Graduation Application.
If you are graduating with an ARTS & SCIENCE CERTIFICATE you need to complete a separate Graduation Application for A&S. Go to the A&S Office in 140 Thackeray to complete this form.
The deadline to apply for a certificate or dual degree at A&S:
- April 2020 Graduates - applications will be available starting Oct. 28th and due back to A&S no later than Nov.7th.
- August 2020 Graduates - applications will be available starting February 10th and due back to A&S no later than March 20th.
- December 2020 Graduates - applications will be available starting March 23rd and due back to A&S no later than Sept. 4th.
- April 2021 Graduates - applications will be available starting Oct. 26th and due back to A&S no later than Nov.5th.
- August 2021 Graduates - applications will be available starting February 15th and due back to A&S no later than March 19th.
- December 2021 Graduates - applications will be available starting March 22nd and due back to A&S no later than July 9th.
If you have any question regarding your certificate and application deadlines at A&S, please email Lisa Machi in A&S: email@example.com.
Click on this link to apply for graduation at A&S https://www.asundergrad.pitt.edu/student-records
If you are doing a certificate at another Pitt school please check with that schools Dean's office on dates and deadlines to apply.
Dual degrees are not included on SHRS Grad Application
If you are completing a dual degree at another School, you must apply for graduation at that School with a separate Graduation Application. Please contact the other School for instructions and deadlines.
The address that you put on the Graduation Application should be where you want your diploma sent after you graduate. Please do not use a temporary address. If your address is going to change after you apply for graduation, please contact Courtney Fleck at firstname.lastname@example.org to make the necessary adjustments.
NOTE: Your name on your Graduation Application must be identical to the way it appears on the University's student information system. You will be required to provide legal documentation to change your name. The acceptable documentation is a birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, formal court order or a valid passport.
Please do not wait to apply for graduation and pay a fee even if you are not sure that you will graduate. There is no cost to decline your Graduation Application for a specific term. If you are declined graduation, you will simply reapply the next term with a new Graduation Application.
If you are completing a master's thesis or dissertation, please visit the Doctoral/Master Thesis web page for instructions on the ETD process. Please email Courtney Fleck at email@example.com to obtain your ETD packet.
Diplomas are mailed from the Main University Registrar to the address you supplied on your graduation application. Students will be notified via their campus email when their diploma has been shipped.
All Undergrad and Graduate students receive an 8.5x11 diploma from the University, except for PHD students who receive a 12 x16.
- If you would need to reorder a diploma after you graduate, click on this link to find more information. https://www.registrar.pitt.edu/students/graduationdiplomas
If you have any questions regarding diplomas, including the address your diploma will be sent to (the one you put on your graduation application), please contact the Main Pitt Registrar at 412-624-7627 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You can order an official transcript online using the University Registrars website Transcripts/Verifications.
If you have any questions regarding transcripts please contact the Main Pitt Registrar at 412-624-7635 or email@example.com
If you completed a certificate from SHRS, you will be mailed the certificate from SHRS to the address you supplied on your graduation application. If you have a question on your SHRS certificate, please contact Kellie Beach at firstname.lastname@example.org