- Professor and Director of Clinical Research, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Professor, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, Pgh., PA
- Professor, Clinical and Translational Science Institute, University of Pittsburgh, Pgh, PA
- BS, Physical Therapy, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- MS, Health Related Professions, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- PhD, Research Methodology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh PA
Awards and Honors
- Phi Eta Sigma, National Freshman Honor Society 1973
- Distinguished Alumnus, School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Pittsburgh 1995
- Breg Award for Excellence, Sports Physical Therapy Section 1998
- Distinguished Teaching Award, School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, University of Pittsburgh 2000
- Sports Physical Therapy Section Clinical Educator Award 2002
- Catherine Worthingham Fellow of the American Physical Therapy Association 2009
- Development and validation of patient-oriented outcome measures
- Effects of joint injury on development of post-traumatic knee OA
- Clinical research related to diagnosis, treatment and prognosis of musculoskeletal conditions involving the knee and shoulder
- Use of clinical and process outcomes data to improve clinician performance
Click here for a list of refereed articles
Other Scholarly Publications
- Irrgang JJ, Clinical outcomes in sports and exercise physical therapies. In: Physical Therapies in Sport and Exercise. Chapter 12. Pages 201-215. Edited by G. Kolt, L.M. Snyder-Mackler, London, Harcourt Health Sciences, 2003
- Childs JD and Irrgang JJ: The language of exercise and rehabilitation. In: Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Principles and Practice, pp319-335. Edited by DeLee JC, Drez D, Miller MD, Philadelphia: Saunders, 2003
- Fitzgerald GKand Irrgang JJ: Articular cartilage procedures of the knee. In: Clinical Orthopaedic Rehabilitation.2nd Edition. Chapter 4. Pages 350-355. Edited by S. B. Brotzman, Mosby Publishing, Philadelphia, 2003
- Irrgang JJ and Rabin A. Clinical Applications for Orthopaedic Basic Science: Rehabilitation Implications for Ligament and Tendon Injuries. In: Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Section Home Study 14.2.6, Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Section of the American Physical Therapy Association, LaCrosse, WI, 2004
- Piva SR, Irrgang JJ: Evaluation of Patellofemoral Conditions. In: Patellofemoral Disorders: A Rehabilitative Approach. Edited by R.C. Manske. Sports Physical Therapy Section of the APTA Home Study Course Course 2005
- Piva SR, Irrgang JJ: Evaluation of Anterior Knee Pain. In Manske RC (ed.) Patellofemoral Joint Revisited. Implications for the 21st Century. Sports Physical Therapy Section, Indianapolis IN, 2006
- Irrgang JJ, West RV, Sahasrabudhe A, Harner CD: Rehabilitation after Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. In Manske RC (ed.) Postsurgical Orthopedic Sports Rehabilitation. Knee and Shoulder. Mosby Inc., St. Louis MO, 2006
- Irrgang JJ, Marx RG: Clinical outcomes in sports and exercise physical therapies. In Kolt G, Synder-Mackler L (eds.) Physical Therapies in Sports and Exercise (2nd Edition). Elsevier Limited Edinburgh, UK, 2007
- Enseki K, Irrgang JJ. Rehabilitation following ACL reconstruction. In Cohen SB, Fu FH (eds.) Current Concepts in ACL Reconstruction SLACK, Inc. New Jersey Chapter 25, p 377, 2008
- Okeke NE and Irrgang JJ. Outcome measures for ACL reconstruction. In Cohen SB, Fu FH (eds.) Current Concepts in ACL Reconstruction SLACK, Inc. New Jersey Chapter 25, p 391, 2008
- Reinald MM, Berkson EM, Asmis P, Irrgang JJ, Safran MR, Fu FH. Knee ligament and patellar tendon injuries. In Magee DJ, Zachazewski JE, Quillen WS. Pathology and Intervention in Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. Saunders, Missouri. Chapter 17 p 528-578, 2009
- West, RV and Irrgang JJ. Overuse injuries of the lower extremity. In Kibler WB (ed). Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Sports Medicine . American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL. Chapter 15, p 181-183, 2009
Courses Recently Taught
- PT 2072 Evidence Based practice 1
- PT 2075 Evidence Based Practice 4
- PT2076 Evidence Based Practice 5
- PT2077 Evidence Based Practice 6
- PT2078 Evidence Based Practice 7
Funded Research Projects
Irrgang, JJ (Corresponding PI) NIAMS 09/01/2010 – 08/31/2014
National Institutes for Arthritis Musculoskeletal Skin Diseases (1RO1AR056630-01A1)
Single-vs. Double-Bundle ACL Reconstruction: A Prospective Randomized Trial
The goal of this project is to conduct a double-blind, randomized clinical trial to compare kinematic and clinical outcomes of anatomic single-bundle vs. anatomic double bundle ACL reconstruction. In comparison to SB ACL reconstruction, we hypothesize that double-bundle ACL reconstruction will result in more normal restoration of dynamic knee function and improved clinical outcomes. This project is one of the parent studies for the proposed ancillary study.
Irrgang (PI) American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine 12/31/2012 – 12/31/2013
Systematic Review of Clinical Outcome Measures for Sports-Related Conditions Involving the Knee, Shoulder, Hip and Foot/Ankle
The purpose of this project is to conduct a comprehensive review and summary of clinical outcome measures for sports-related conditions involving the knee, shoulder, hip and foot/ankle.
Irrgang JJ (Co-Investigator) 2R01 AR052784 06A1 07/01/2011 – 06/30/2016
Enhanced Clinical Diagnosis of Early Osteoarthritis
This study will provide new quantitative clinical diagnostic tools to support a clinical paradigm shift towards treatment of cartilage injury and degeneration years before what is currently possible
Irrgang JJ (Co-I) K23 AR47631- 4/1/02 –0 3/30/06
National Institutes of Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Outcomes after anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction: Effect of femoral nerve block anesthesia.
The purpose of this study is to examine the effect of femoral nerve block anesthesia on neuromuscular recovery after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.
Irrgang JJ (Co-I) National Institutes of Arthritis Musculoskeletal & Skin Diseases. 1/1/04 – 12/31/07
1 R01 AR048760-01A1 National Institutes of Arthritis Musculoskeletal & Skin Diseases.
Knee stability training in individuals with knee osteoarthritis.
The purpose of this study is to examine the effectiveness of a knee stability training program for individuals with knee OA for improving pain, physical performance measures of function, self reported measures of function, knee stability and lower extremity neuromuscular control.
Irrgang JJ (Co-I) C03511 Omeros Corporation 01/1/06 – 12/31/06
Double-Blind, Multicenter Phase 3 Study Comparing the Efficacy and Safety of OMS103HP with Vehicle in Patients Undergoing Allograft ACL Reconstruction.
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the efficacy and safety of OMS103HP, which is an investigational drug to improve knee pain and knee function in patients undergoing arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.
Irrgang JJ (Co-I) C04516 - Omero Corporation 01/1/06 – 8/31/09
Double-Blind, Multicenter Study Evaluating the Safety of OMS1031111P and Vehicle in Patients Undergoing Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction.
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the safety of OMS103HP, which is an investigational drug to improve knee pain and knee function in patients undergoing arthroscopic anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.
Irrgang JJ (PI) Omeros Corporation 03/15/07 to 03/14/08
Validation of the Knee Function Composite Test: A Pilot Study
The purpose of this study is to determine the relationship of the Knee Function Composite (KFC) and Knee Function Composite plus SLR (KFC+SLR) to knee function following ACL reconstruction as measured by isometric quadriceps strength and the kinematics and kinetics of gait.
Irrgang JJ (Co-I) American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine 01/01/2008 – 03/06/2012
Topical Nitroglycerin in the Treatment of Patellar Tendonitis: A Randomized Controlled Trial
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the efficacy of topical nitroglycerin in alleviating the symptoms and disability associated with patellar tendonitis.
Service and Assignments
- American Journal of Sports Medicine
- Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Arthritis Care and Research
- Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Osteoarthritis & Cartilage
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- AOSSM - International Knee Documentation Committee, 1999 – present
- Ad Hoc Member, Research Committee, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine , 2003-present
- Chair, Outcomes Task Force American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine 2009 – Present
APTA – Orthopaedic Section
- Director, Orthopaedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association 2003-2007
- Director, Board of Directors, Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, 2004-2008
- President, Orthopaedic Section of American Physical Therapy Association, 2007-Present
American College of Rheumatology
- Member, Committee on Journals and Publications 2009-2011
American Physical Therapy Association
- Section on Research of the American Physical Therapy Association
- Member, EDGE Task Force
- Member, Consulting Group on the Revision of the Research Agenda for Physical Therapy
- Member, American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education 2011-2014
- Member, Ad Hoc Advisory Panel for National Outcomes Database
Membership in Scientific/Professional/Honorary Societies
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sportes Medicine
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- APTA – Orthopaedic Section
- American College of Rheumatology