Recognition Day & Commencement
Find the SHRS Recognition Day and University Commencement information below (click here for information on applying for graduation).
If you have any questions regarding graduation please contact Student Services Coordinator, Ms. Chazz Williams, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kellie Beach, Director of Student Services, Registrar at email@example.com.
SHRS Recognition Day
These ceremonies are for the following graduates: April 2017, June 2017 and **August 2017 (**see optional ceremony in December for August graduates)
- Exception for 2017: August 2016 and December 2016 graduates that were not able to attend in December 2016, will also be invited if they requested to be.
Monday, May 1, 2017
Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall
Students will be recognized individually at each ceremony.
Doors open at 8:00 am.
Ceremony will begin at 9:30 am and last until approximately 10:45 am.
A reception will immediately follow at the Cathedral Commons and end at 12:00 pm.
Doors open at 1:00 pm.
Ceremony will begin at 2:30 pm and last until approximately 3:45 pm.
A reception will immediately follow at the Cathedral Commons and end at 5:00 pm.
A. Everette James, JD, MBA
Director, Pitt Health Policy Institute
Associate Vice Chancellor Health Policy and Planning
Invitations & Tickets:
Invitations will be distributed in February 2017. You will be given directions to RSVP on-line, to receive tickets.
- We will NOT know how many tickets each student will receive until sometime AFTER January 20, 2017, after all students apply for graduation. I can only estimate at this time, that it will be between 4-6 per student (students and anyone under the age of 2 do not require a ticket.)
- Please do not promise tickets to family and friends, until you are sure that you can obtain one for them.
- Please do not inquire about tickets or have your parents call about tickets. You will receive multiple emails regarding graduation.
University of Pittsburgh Commencement Ceremony
This ceremony is for the following graduates: August and December 2016, April and June 2017
- Note: August and December 2017 graduates will be invited in 2018
(No tickets required)
Students are recognized as a school.
Student Services will be sending out emails with new information, please check and read your emails!
**UPDATE 12/20/16: New SHRS Winter Graduates Recognition Ceremony
I have exciting news to share regarding a New Winter Graduates Recognition Ceremony for our August and December Graduates. Which will be held every year at the end of the fall term in December. (The tenative date is Saturday, Dec. 16, 2017, at Alumni Hall at 10:30 am, this could be subject to change. Confirmation of date, time and place will be in July-August)
August Graduates will be given a choice to participate before you graduate in the April/MayRecognition Day ceremony or after you graduate in the NEW Winter Recognition Ceremony.
- Students will be emailed a link in January to the "Participation In Recognition Day Questionnaire" This is where you will choose which ceremony you would like to attend.
If you choose May 2017, you will be handed a formal invitation, by your department administrator sometime in February 2017. This Invitation will have instructions on how to RSVP and receive tickets.
If you choose to attend in December 2017, you will be emailed (to your Pitt account) an invitation in early November 2018.
December Graduates will all be invited to the Winter Ceremony, through a formal invitation that will sent to your Pitt email account in October.
Please note: The University holds its own Commencement at the Petersen Event Center in April and as an August graduate, you are invited the year following your graduation. Therefore, August and December 2017 graduates will be invited in April/May 2018. Also, the University commencement is for the entire university and you are recognized as a school, as with the SHRS ceremony, you are individually recognized and you will walk across the stage and have your name read and shake the SHRS Dean’s hand.