Find SHRS Recognition Day and University Commencement information below. (Click here for information on applying for graduation).
If you have any questions regarding graduation, please contact Director of Student Services/Registrar Kellie Beach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SHRS Recognition Day - Saturday, April 27, 2019
The information below was updated as of April 10, 2019.
SHRS will hold its own graduation (Recognition) ceremonies (undergraduate & graduate) on Saturday, April 27, 2019 at Soldiers & Sailors, followed by a dessert reception after each ceremony in the Cathedral Commons. These ceremonies are for students that graduated in April 2019, June 2019, & August 2019 (August graduates also have the option of attending in December 2019).
Watch your Pitt email in mid-February for your invitation with instructions on how to RSVP (RSVP means your intention of attendance).
When you receive your invitation, please do not ignore it! It is mandatory that you RSVP, even if you do not plan on attending.
NOTE: There will be a ticket limit per student for these ceremonies.
- Each student attending will receive 8 tickets.(No tickets are required for graduating students or guests under the age of 2.)
- We will NOT have a waitlist for additional tickets. Therefore, please do not call or email Student Services regarding additional tickets.
- Tickets will be emailed to you at the beginning of April and will need to be printed out and given to your guests in order for them to enter Soldiers & Sailors.
- Student Services will refer all calls from family or friends of graduating students regarding Recognition Day to our web site or to the student to give them information.
- Included with your invitation will be additional information on regalia, directions, parking, and accessibility.
REGALIA (Cap, Gown, & Hood):
Regalia is mandatory to participate in the SHRS Recognition Day ceremonies and University Commencement. The University will hold Graduation Central on Tuesday, April 9 & Wednesday, April 10 for you to pick up everything you will need for the big day! If you cannot make it during one of those days, you will be able to order and pick up regalia from the University Bookstore. More information on this will be available soon.
LIVESTREAMING ON FACEBOOK:
We will livestream the ceremonies on our SHRS Facebook page. Click here to access this page. Please share the link with your family and friends!
Gifts for Graduates:
Commencement Flowers will be on site for you to purchase flowers for your graduate.
You may pre-order and pick-up at event using this link: https://www.thecommencementgroup.com/pitthealth/
- To pick up your order at Soldiers & Sailors that day, at checkout, note in Additional information and Event date - SHRS Rec. day – April 27th at Soldiers & Sailors.
NO BALLOONS are allowed in Soldiers & Sailors, due to high ceilings.
Graduate Ceremony: Doors will open at 8:30 a.m.
Students must be in the line-up area by 9:15 a.m.
The ceremony will begin at 9:30 a.m. and end around 10:45 a.m.
A reception will follow at the Cathedral Commons until noon.
Leanne Yinusa-Nyahkoon, ScD, OTR/L
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Occupational Therapy
Research Scientist, Department of Family Medicine, Research Associate, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Boston University, Boston Medical Center
Undergraduate Ceremony: Doors will open at 12:30 p.m.
Students must be in the line-up area by 1:00 p.m.
The ceremony will begin at 1:30 p.m. and end around 2:45 p.m.
A reception will follow at the Cathedral Commons until 4 p.m.
Jon Pearlman, PhD
Chair and Associate Professor, Department of Rehabilitation Science and Technology
Director, International Society of Wheelchair Professionals
***UPDATE - We have been informed by Pitt Police that University Place road at Fifth Avenue will be blocked off on Saturday, April 27 and cars will NOT be permitted to go up this road from Fifth Avenue due to Freshmen dorm move out.
****If you have a guest that needs be dropped off at the accessibility ramp at Soldiers & Sailors, you will need to enter University Place road from the top of O’Hara Street and ask the officer on duty to allow you to go to the Soldiers & Sailors Ramp to drop off your guest, then you will be asked to exit the lot and go back up O'Hara to park in the Soldiers & Sailors garage on Bigelow Blvd.
Paid parking is available on the street or in the parking garage located under Soldiers & Sailors. Click here for more information.
- Soldiers & Sailors Parking Garage hours are 8 a.m. to midnight.
- It’s a $5 flat fee to park there for the day. (Note: Pitt does not accept American Express credit cards.)
- All vehicles must enter on the Bigelow Boulevard side entrance (the University Place side is lease only).
- Guests with disabilities (wheelchair or limited walking) may park on the top (first floor) of the garage. Please specify this to the attendant when entering.
- Guests with disabilities may also be dropped off at the Soldiers & Sailors outdoor parking lot located at the corner of O’Hara Street and University Drive. There is a wheelchair ramp in the lot that enters directly into the building. This lot is only for drop off. NO parking will be permitted in the outdoor Soldiers & Sailors parking lot. This is for employees only.
- There is no physical connection or elevator from or between the garage and the building. You must walk outside the garage to enter the hall.
ACCESSIBILITY INSIDE THE AUDITORIUM:
Once inside the auditorium there is a back row for wheelchair users and we will reserve the row in front of the wheelchair row for others to sit with them.
Restrooms for visitors with physical disabilities are located on the third level, accessible via two elevators.
Seats are on a first-come first-serve basis. Seats on the first floor are accessible for guests that cannot go up to the balcony seats. We will have staff there to assist.
April 2019 - University of Pittsburgh Commencement Convocation
The University will hold its own commencement convocation for the entire University of Pittsburgh campus at the Petersen Events Center.
There will be a ceremony for graduate and professional students and one for undergraduate students that graduated in August & December 2018 and April & June 2019.
- The annual Graduate Commencement Convocation will be held on Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.
- The annual Undergraduate Commencement Convocation will be held on Sunday, April 28, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
No tickets are required and guests are unlimited.
Please visit the University Commencement page for more information on hotels, lodging, photo spots and more.
December 2019 - SHRS Fall Recognition Ceremony
Pending date is Saturday, December 14, 2019.
Please check back for updated information in August.